Tributes paid to former headteacher
TRIBUTES have been pouring in for one of Dunmow s most well known figures who died last week at the age of 78. Eileen Dorothy Bell was a former headteacher at Helena Romanes School where she served for 14 years. Former pupils and teachers have paid tribut
TRIBUTES have been pouring in for one of Dunmow's most well known figures who died last week at the age of 78.
Eileen Dorothy Bell was a former headteacher at Helena Romanes School where she served for 14 years.
Former pupils and teachers have paid tribute to her ahead of a church service at Dunmow St Mary's on Monday.
Eileen was last at the school in July last year when she helped celebrate 50 years of the school being located at its current Parsonage Downs site.
You may also want to watch:
She took the helm between 1975 and 1989 when pupil numbers reached over 1200.
After a very long illness she died at her home on Thursday May 21. Her funeral service begins at 2pm followed by a cremation in Chelmsford.
- 1 Broomfield nurse still struggling with Covid-19 after effects
- 2 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 3 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 4 New cycle network consultation announced
- 5 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 6 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 7 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 8 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 9 Operation Trespass will highlight drugs gangs cuckooing efforts
- 10 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
Donations can be paid to Christian Aid or St Mary's Church Dunmow. Floral tributes must be sent to Daniel Robinson & Sons funeral directors before noon on June 1.
Dunmow Town Councillor Phil Milne used to share lifts with Eileen in her later years as they went to regular hospital appointments together. He described her death as a "great loss".
"She was a really terrific person. I am sure the church will be packed as people pay their respects," he said.
An official obituary of Eileen's life will be written up by close friend Ann Park before the funeral.