Tributes paid to former headteacher
TRIBUTES have been pouring in for one of Dunmow s most well known figures who died last week at the age of 78. Eileen Dorothy Bell was a former headteacher at Helena Romanes School where she served for 14 years. Former pupils and teachers have paid tribut
TRIBUTES have been pouring in for one of Dunmow's most well known figures who died last week at the age of 78.
Eileen Dorothy Bell was a former headteacher at Helena Romanes School where she served for 14 years.
Former pupils and teachers have paid tribute to her ahead of a church service at Dunmow St Mary's on Monday.
Eileen was last at the school in July last year when she helped celebrate 50 years of the school being located at its current Parsonage Downs site.
She took the helm between 1975 and 1989 when pupil numbers reached over 1200.
After a very long illness she died at her home on Thursday May 21. Her funeral service begins at 2pm followed by a cremation in Chelmsford.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 4 High Roding continue excellent start, as Aythorpe, Dunmow suffer defeats
- 5 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 6 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 7 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 8 Recap: A120 reopens near Stansted Airport after 'police incident'
- 9 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
- 10 Dunmow Velo: New group ride for beginners as RideLondon due
Donations can be paid to Christian Aid or St Mary's Church Dunmow. Floral tributes must be sent to Daniel Robinson & Sons funeral directors before noon on June 1.
Dunmow Town Councillor Phil Milne used to share lifts with Eileen in her later years as they went to regular hospital appointments together. He described her death as a "great loss".
"She was a really terrific person. I am sure the church will be packed as people pay their respects," he said.
An official obituary of Eileen's life will be written up by close friend Ann Park before the funeral.