May Bank Holiday: Rail disruption throughout Essex, Cambs and Norfolk
- Credit: Network Rail
Buses are set to replace trains on railway lines between London, Cambridge and King's Lynn this May Bank Holiday weekend.
There will be no trains between Stansted Airport, Hertford East and London between Saturday, April 30 and Monday, May 2.
A rail replacement bus will also run between King's Lynn and Ely throughout the three-day weekend.
In the Stansted Airport and Hertford areas, the May Bank Holiday line closure is part of long-term work which began on March 5 to refresh railway track, platforms and bridges.
Trains are set to run between Cambridge and Stansted Airport, but they will be unable to continue south from Stansted towards London.
Instead, buses will replace trains between Stansted Airport and Waltham Cross, and between Hertford East and Waltham Cross, while work takes place.
Ellie Burrows, of Network Rail, said: "This work is essential to improve reliability and reduce the number of delays and cancellations on this busy part of the network.
"I’d like to thank passengers for their patience while we carry out this important work to renew the track to improve reliability on this busy line."
Network Rail closed the same portion of track over the Easter weekend between Friday, April 15 and Monday, April 18.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 3 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 4 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 5 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 6 High Easter hit magnificent seven after second-half goal blitz
- 7 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 8 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 9 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
- 10 High Roding continue excellent start, as Aythorpe, Dunmow suffer defeats
Jamie Burles, of Greater Anglia, said: "We would like to thank customers for their patience while improvement work took place over the Easter weekend.
"We’re in the process of rolling out new trains across our network and this work will help to further improve reliability and punctuality on the line."
In Cambridgeshire and Norfolk, Great Northern cannot run trains through Littleport, Downham Market, Watlington or King's Lynn throughout the May Bank Holiday weekend.
A company statement reads: "Engineering work is taking place between Ely and Kings Lynn, closing some lines.
"A rail replacement bus service will be in operation between Ely and Kings Lynn."
Elsewhere in the East, there are no Avanti West Coast or London Northwestern Railway trains between London Euston and Milton Keynes Central from Saturday, April 30 until Monday, May 2.
Southern cannot run trains between London Victoria and Balham, and between Victoria and East Croydon, due to planned works.
The Great Northern route between Finsbury Park and London Moorgate will be shut, with services between Hertfordshire and the City diverted into London King's Cross.