Town library to finally open!
THE LONG wait is over - Dunmow s new library is set to open its doors to the public next month. After a series of delays – the latest being Essex County Council (ECC) terminating a communications contract with BT for phone and internet services – the new
THE LONG wait is over - Dunmow's new library is set to open its doors to the public next month.
After a series of delays - the latest being Essex County Council (ECC) terminating a communications contract with BT for phone and internet services - the new building will open on Monday June 22.
Director of Adult Learning and Libraries for ECC, Susan Carragher, said: "This is a proud moment. We have long been aware that the old library in Dunmow was not big enough, or in the right place to properly serve the growing local community.
"This new building is at the heart of the town and will give everyone the chance to use a very modern service in first rate surroundings."
You may also want to watch:
The �1million library is situated opposite the Co-Op in White Street and will form one side of the new town square once it is completed. Work will begin in September.
The Community Information Centre for Uttlesford District Council, currently based in the High Street, will also be moved in along with all its services and staff.
- 1 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 2 New Dunmow school approved but safety fears aired
- 3 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 4 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 5 Great Easton pub sells at auction
- 6 More history made by Dunmow Taekwondo's talented students
- 7 Residents urged to have their say in housing consultation
- 8 'That's more like it' roars Takeley's John Hedges after comfortable win in pro fight number two
- 9 Online Young Musician competition launched by Dunmow Rotarians
- 10 Woman taken to hospital after serious accident between Takeley and Dunmow
ECC chiefs have promised more than twice the space of the current building, and the opening hours will leap from 29 to 54 hours per week. There will be a big increase in the number of books and DVDs on offer, while 12 computers will be installed for free internet access.
During a sneak preview in the week before the opening, Dunmow town councillors will be among the first to see the new self-service technology which will allow people to borrow and return their items without the need to queue.
The old library, in North Street, will close for good at 5pm on Saturday June 13. It will take a week to move, during which time items can be returned to any other Essex Library, or renewed on the internet or by phone.
WHAT do you think? E-mail us at email@example.com