Tom's pedal power
A DUNMOW man has just completed a series of bike rides to gain the prestigious Randonneur Round the Year award. Tom Deakins completed a �200km ride or more events in 12 consecutive months – the cyclist s equivalent to a marathon. Mr Deakin said: I have
A DUNMOW man has just completed a series of bike rides to gain the prestigious 'Randonneur Round the Year' award.
Tom Deakins completed a �200km ride or more events in 12 consecutive months - the cyclist's equivalent to a marathon.
Mr Deakin said: "I have done quite a lot of long distance cycling, as well as some competitive riding, but this is something new for me and was particularly hard during the winter, involving some night riding and coping with the weather.
Some 'away' events entailed early starts, but I was able to devise my own ride starting from Dunmow, as it was possible to obtain proof of passage from shops, garages and cash machines on my route."
You may also want to watch:
So far, fewer than 200 cyclists in the UK have achieved the award, presented by Audax UK.
Mr Deakin is now building up stamina for the epic 1400km London-Edinburgh-London event in July.
- 1 Secretary of state to consider overturning Finchingfield houses approval
- 2 Covid-19 fast-testing centre opens in Uttlesford for asymptomatic residents
- 3 Villages around Great Dunmow covered in frost and snow
- 4 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 5 Red engraved gem from iron ring is older than was previously thought
- 6 Dozens of illegal fishing nets and traps seized during pandemic
- 7 Beavers help with Finchingfield's 'worst flood in 20 years'
- 8 New Local Plan: 'Housing and transport should be planned together'
- 9 Seventh flood in Great Bardfield breaks pavement
- 10 Essex County Council approves council tax increase