Tom's pedal power
A DUNMOW man has just completed a series of bike rides to gain the prestigious Randonneur Round the Year award. Tom Deakins completed a �200km ride or more events in 12 consecutive months – the cyclist s equivalent to a marathon. Mr Deakin said: I have
A DUNMOW man has just completed a series of bike rides to gain the prestigious 'Randonneur Round the Year' award.
Tom Deakins completed a �200km ride or more events in 12 consecutive months - the cyclist's equivalent to a marathon.
Mr Deakin said: "I have done quite a lot of long distance cycling, as well as some competitive riding, but this is something new for me and was particularly hard during the winter, involving some night riding and coping with the weather.
Some 'away' events entailed early starts, but I was able to devise my own ride starting from Dunmow, as it was possible to obtain proof of passage from shops, garages and cash machines on my route."
You may also want to watch:
So far, fewer than 200 cyclists in the UK have achieved the award, presented by Audax UK.
Mr Deakin is now building up stamina for the epic 1400km London-Edinburgh-London event in July.
- 1 'That's more like it' roars Takeley's John Hedges after comfortable win in pro fight number two
- 2 Residents urged to have their say in housing consultation
- 3 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 4 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 5 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 6 Doorbell crimes in Thaxted see one ‘ripped off’ before suspect flees
- 7 Rise in dog thefts during lockdown, says charity
- 8 Great Easton pub sells at auction
- 9 New Dunmow school approved but safety fears aired
- 10 April 12: Five pub gardens and five shops you can visit in Uttlesford