Thousands flock to “absolutely fabulous” Dunmow Carnival
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of people visited Dunmow on Saturday (September 21) for the town’s annual carnival.
Organisers were "absoloutely delighted" with how the day went and estimated that up to 8,000 people attended the event.
The carnival's princesses, large inflatables and local charities could be seen during the procession which trundled through Dunmow and kicked-off the day, followed by demonstrations from performance groups and a concert in the evening.
Peter Watson, chairman of the carnival committee, said: "We are absoloutely delighted. The weather couldn't have been better. It was absoloutely fabulous."
Mr Watson said the procession was a particular highlight: "It was good to see people putting effort into their floats, there was more effort than last year I thought," he said.
It is too early to say how much was raised for the three good causes which the carnival was collecting money for, however Peter said people were being "very generous".
"I was holding a donation bucket as people left at the end of the night and people were handing over notes which I have not noticed before," he said.
- 1 Bardfield cottage transformed into scrumptious-looking gingerbread house for Christmas
- 2 Olympic gold medallist Beth Shriever switches on Finchingfield's Christmas tree lights
- 3 First Sunday in December marked with Live Nativity in Great Dunmow
- 4 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences at Stansted Airport
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 Essex buildings are lit up in green for awareness campaign
- 8 Braintree investment leads to questions about Witham
- 9 'Massive' headliners set to be announced for Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up
- 10 Chelmsford: Safety improvements planned at roundabout after Thaxted man dies