Theo lands leading role in 1940s drama
A NINE-year-old boy from The Rodings tonight (Thursday) stars in a leading role at The Young Vic Theatre in London s South Bank. Theo Stevenson landed the role of John Henry in Carson McCullers The Member of the Wedding after successfully completing a se
A NINE-year-old boy from The Rodings tonight (Thursday) stars in a leading role at The Young Vic Theatre in London's South Bank.
Theo Stevenson landed the role of John Henry in Carson McCullers' The Member of the Wedding after successfully completing a series of gruelling auditions that started back in April.
Explaining how he felt when he was told he'd got the part, Theo said: "I was very excited because I have really enjoyed filming in the past but my passion is the stage.
"I love acting in front of a live audience."
Theo shares the role with two other actors allowing him to carry on with his studies at school and still act in every third performance.
Rehearsals for the show started in July and really got going in August.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Dunmow Rovers Tigers Under 10s celebrate 'fantastic result'
- 3 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 4 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 5 High Easter hit Legends with second-half goal blitz
- 6 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 7 Outdoor theatre shows for all the family set for the National Trust's Hatfield Forest this summer
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 10 Wins for High Roding, Aythorpe Roding and Dunmow cricketers
Theo's first performance of the play was on Saturday which, he said, he was really nervous about.
But getting that first one under his belt without any mistakes has made him more confident and he can't wait for tonight.
"I'm thrilled to be chosen for this performance as it is the press night when the world's media comes to watch the show," he said. "It is the performance that all of the reviews will be based on. It's a great honour."
For Theo it is the latest in
a long line of top screen
and stage credits including Fred Claus with Cathy
Bates, Vince Vaughn, Miranda Richardson and Kevin Spacey.
It is tipped to be this year's Christmas blockbuster. He has also recently finished filming a film called In Bruges where he appears alongside Ralph Fiennes and Colin Farrell.
"Working with Colin was great. He is one of my favourite actors and he taught me lots of tips," said Theo.
As well as studying drama at New Hall Preparatory School in Chelmsford, Theo is a member of Scene Two Theatre School, based at The Arts Centre in Dunmow which he says he loves.
Sarah Stevenson, Theo's mother, said: "He has achieved distinctions in two LAMDA [The London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art] drama exams since joining this wonderful theatre school.
"We are eternally grateful to Scene Two for the wonderful support Theo
Jacky Rom, principal of Scene II Theatre School, said: "Theo has worked really hard at his acting and I am delighted with his success. We are all very proud of him."
The Member of the Wedding tells the story of a 12-year-old girl, who feels her family is ignoring her while they prepare for her older brother's wedding.
It is being performed until October 20. For details check out www.youngvic.org