Thefts spark Essex police into giving tips on stopping criminals
PUBLISHED: 13:37 08 September 2010 | UPDATED: 17:33 08 September 2010
POLICE are appealing for information and witnesses following two thefts of expensive catalytic convertors from high clearance cars in Felsted.
The public have been warned to be on the lookout after crooks ripped off the vehicle part twice from the same location sometime before September 6 and again on the night of September 4.
Felsted School, Garnetts Lane, is the place that has been targeted and it is well known that many residents have cars such as Landrovers, Ford Rangers, Toyota Landcruisers, the Kia Sportage and the Iveco Daily, which all have high clearance.
The total value of the two stolen recently is around £1650.
Crime reduction advisor Stephen Armson-Smith said: “Should you be unfortunate enough to suffer the theft of your catalytic converter, please ask the garage to allow you to retain the cut area of the exhaust when you are getting it replaced.
“Essex Police may then be able to make a mechanical match on any recovered converter.”
Some further steps that motorists can take to protect their vehicles are:
1) Fencing Around Vehicles – acts as a deterrent to opportunist catalytic converter thieves.
2) Defensive Parking – if you have a fleet of vehicles, block those with high clearance using vehicles with low clearance.
3) Effective Security Lighting – makes vehicles visible to the street without creating glare and can act to deter the thief.
4) Garages – where possible park in your garage.
5) Welded Bolts – if your catalytic converter is ‘bolt on’, have the bolts welded shut.
6) ID Etching – etch converters with a serial number. This will help the police to track your converter should it be stolen.
Police are appealing for anyone with information about these crimes to contact officers at Dunmow on 0300 333 4444, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Dunmow Broadcast. Click the link in the orange box above for details.