The skylight's the limit for 82-year-old landlord
AN 82-year-old landlord got stuck in a skylight on Sunday, whilst trying to carry out repairs to one of his homes in Takeley. Firefighters from Harlow and Stansted were called into rescue action at around 11.30am when the man, who was clambering on the ro
AN 82-year-old landlord got stuck in a skylight on Sunday, whilst trying to carry out repairs to one of his homes in Takeley.
Firefighters from Harlow and Stansted were called into rescue action at around 11.30am when the man, who was clambering on the roof of the property at The Street, fell through a skylight and became wedged.
Leading firefighter Syd Barrett, from Harlow Fire Station, said that the man, believed to be from Chingford and landlord of the house, had been checking on the property's chimney pots and had climbed through a skylight in the loft onto the roof.
"We couldn't put the aerial ladder platform up to bring him down because of live electricity wiring on the roof," Mr Barrett explained. "So we called for the electricity engineers to come out and turn off the power before we could rescue him.
You may also want to watch:
"It took them almost an hour to arrive, so we kept the chap chatting and an ambulance paramedic who was inside the loft found him something to stand on to make things a bit more comfortable.
"When the property was safe, we pitched the ladders and brought him down. He was checked over by the paramedics but appeared unharmed and did not need hospital treatment.
- 1 Plan for 30 Dunmow homes rejected by councillors
- 2 Debut Dunmow festival set for sellout success
- 3 Dunmow store transforms with new wedding and prom focus
- 4 Two injured in Hatfield Broad Oak crash
- 5 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 6 Parkrun is back - runners urged to maintain social distancing
- 7 Four birthday cakes as Florence celebrates her 105th birthday
- 8 Life change of direction for owners of new Felsted cafe
- 9 Motorcyclist in hospital after Broxted collision
- 10 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19