The skylight's the limit for 82-year-old landlord
AN 82-year-old landlord got stuck in a skylight on Sunday, whilst trying to carry out repairs to one of his homes in Takeley. Firefighters from Harlow and Stansted were called into rescue action at around 11.30am when the man, who was clambering on the ro
AN 82-year-old landlord got stuck in a skylight on Sunday, whilst trying to carry out repairs to one of his homes in Takeley.
Firefighters from Harlow and Stansted were called into rescue action at around 11.30am when the man, who was clambering on the roof of the property at The Street, fell through a skylight and became wedged.
Leading firefighter Syd Barrett, from Harlow Fire Station, said that the man, believed to be from Chingford and landlord of the house, had been checking on the property's chimney pots and had climbed through a skylight in the loft onto the roof.
"We couldn't put the aerial ladder platform up to bring him down because of live electricity wiring on the roof," Mr Barrett explained. "So we called for the electricity engineers to come out and turn off the power before we could rescue him.
"It took them almost an hour to arrive, so we kept the chap chatting and an ambulance paramedic who was inside the loft found him something to stand on to make things a bit more comfortable.
"When the property was safe, we pitched the ladders and brought him down. He was checked over by the paramedics but appeared unharmed and did not need hospital treatment.
- 1 Dunmow's Stables Hotel could become flats as business 'no longer viable'
- 2 Thaxted community in shock after fatal house fire
- 3 'Many questions' claim as Uttlesford leader John Lodge announces resignation
- 4 Dunmow TKD enjoy medal-laden trip to British Championships
- 5 Finchingfield's Bethany Shriever crowned Young Sportswoman of the Year
- 6 Great Dunmow restaurant Jalsa Ghar at the British Curry Awards
- 7 More jab capacity planned in North Uttlesford as Omicron variant appears
- 8 Christmas in Essex: 9 magical places to visit in winter
- 9 30 new homes proposed for Hatfield Broad Oak
- 10 In pictures: Santa's sleigh is in the Dunmow district