Thaxted author releases debut novel
- Credit: Archant
A racy book by a Thaxted author was launched at The Star pub in Thaxted on Sunday.
Hanging Tough, a gangster story is has been written by Lisa Bush, 39, who is a mother and a model. She grew up in the East End and has set the book there. Over 200 people were at the launch where Lisa was signing copies of her book.
The dialogue is gorgeous: “Susie ran her thumb along his lips and smeared the offending bright red lipstick across and down his chin. “Not really your colour, babe, is it? She couldn’t hold the sarcasm out of her tone and, flicking her hair over her shoulder, she stormed off through the crowd to mingle.”
From a tender young age, her hero, Tony has had to learn to fend for himself.
Growing up on a rough East London estate has shaped an innocent child into the fearless and dangerous man he was to become.
You may also want to watch:
The book follows the ups and downs that Tony has to endure to survive as he grows up in a world that threatens everything he believes in.
He moves in roller coaster of from a childhood tainted with sadness, to underworld violence and crime, interlaced with heart-breaking true love.
- 1 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 2 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 3 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 4 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 5 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
- 6 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 7 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 8 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 9 Summer art competition for children launched by school
- 10 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
Lisa said: “I was born in 1975 in East London. I was the youngest in a two point four loving family. I was just your Joe average. Going through schooling and adolescent years I was a normal teenage girl. My mother may have threatened to throttle me on numerous occasions but I never quite managed to drive my parents to drink that much.
“Between now and then, I have been busy training as a hairdresser and beautician, I’ve worked in advertising for a top London magazine, worked as a model and helped run several businesses.
“Growing up in London, crime fiction has always captured my heart and my imagination. I have always read these books as well as being influenced by family and close friends. My stories are all fiction but based on true life events and the amazing lives some people have. Having reached an age that I considered to be ‘now officially grown up, I decided to dip my toe in the world of crime writing.”
This is her first book. It is part of a trilogy and the second, An Eye for An Eye, is nearly finished.
Hanging Tough is published by Live It Publishing at £9.99.