Thatched cottage destroyed by blaze
A BLAZE engulfing a thatched cottage in Molehill Green has resulted in a 45-year-old woman and a 25-year-old man taken to hospital. The fire broke out in the early hours of Tuesday morning at around 3am and took hold before firefighters from Dunmow, Thaxt
A BLAZE engulfing a thatched cottage in Molehill Green has resulted in a 45-year-old woman and a 25-year-old man taken to hospital.
The fire broke out in the early hours of Tuesday morning at around 3am and took hold before firefighters from Dunmow, Thaxted and Stansted reached the scene.
The crews were forced to douse the fire from both sides of the house as the blaze tore through the cottage roof.
Assistant divisional officer Bill Yates said: "The fire has caused extensive damage to the cottage which has been left gutted by the blaze.
"Crews worked very hard and were able to get most of the roof off but the fire was already well developed. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus in the cottage had to be withdrawn because of the risk posed by the collapsing roof."
Two people were taken to hospital suffering the effects of smoke inhalation but the owner of the cottage was unhurt.
- 1 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 2 Fight breaks out near Great Notley as man reportedly seen with a gun
- 3 Penalty save and late winner moves High Easter up the table
- 4 Essex Young Farmers celebrate Plough Sunday with Thaxted tractor run
- 5 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 6 Sunday's event for the 100 year anniversary of village hall
- 7 Things to do in Essex February 2022
- 8 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
- 9 'I'm proud of how far I've come' - Dunmow mum shares her weight loss experience
- 10 Pets' Corner news: Winter Walkies for St Clare
Firefighters used eight sets of breathing, two main jets and four hose reel jets to fight the fire.
At 6am crews continued turning over and damping down the thatch removed from the roof before a relief crew arrived half an hour later.
The fire is not being treated as suspicious.