Tesco take a leaf out of the McDonald’s book with new ‘drive through’ service
VILLAGERS in the south of Uttlesford are being urged to embrace a different style of weekly shop – by using one of the new ‘drive through’ Tesco’s in the area.
The supermarket giant has launched two stores where shoppers can literally order online and then, like a McDonalds, just ‘drive to the next window’ to pick up their goods.
The service is seen as an alternative to the delivery service currently offered, but instead of waiting for a van to arrive, customers can go and pick up their shopping.
Marketing director Ian Crook said: “We believe this will be especially popular with busy mums who have the school run and children’s activities to manage.
“It offers a solution to parents who want to avoid the challenge of shopping in a busy store with children in tow, but can’t afford the time to stay in for shopping to arrive.
You may also want to watch:
“We also expect it to help young professionals who want the convenience of a pre-picked and packed shop but who cannot commit to waiting at home for delivery.”
The service is coming to the Edinburgh Way store in Harlow and the East Road store in Chelmsford.
- 1 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 2 New cycle network consultation announced
- 3 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 4 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 5 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 6 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 7 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 10 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
Tesco was the first retailer to trial drive-through supermarkets in Baldock and Romford in August 2010. The trial is now being extended to another twelve stores nationwide.
Customers order on the website, choosing the ‘Click & Collect’ option and book a two-hour collection slot. They can collect anytime inside this two-hour window.
They drive up to the collection point and staff come to the car window, so there is no need to get out. The shopping is then packed into the boot. A �2 charge is added for the service.
WHAT do you think? Will you use the new service? E-mail us, firstname.lastname@example.org or Tweets us @NickPJThompson.