Tesco take a leaf out of the McDonald’s book with new ‘drive through’ service
VILLAGERS in the south of Uttlesford are being urged to embrace a different style of weekly shop – by using one of the new ‘drive through’ Tesco’s in the area.
The supermarket giant has launched two stores where shoppers can literally order online and then, like a McDonalds, just ‘drive to the next window’ to pick up their goods.
The service is seen as an alternative to the delivery service currently offered, but instead of waiting for a van to arrive, customers can go and pick up their shopping.
Marketing director Ian Crook said: “We believe this will be especially popular with busy mums who have the school run and children’s activities to manage.
“It offers a solution to parents who want to avoid the challenge of shopping in a busy store with children in tow, but can’t afford the time to stay in for shopping to arrive.
“We also expect it to help young professionals who want the convenience of a pre-picked and packed shop but who cannot commit to waiting at home for delivery.”
The service is coming to the Edinburgh Way store in Harlow and the East Road store in Chelmsford.
- 1 Suspected crowbar assault leaves Stansted driver with serious injuries
- 2 Great Dunmow man jailed for 14 years
- 3 Data reveals distracted drivers repeatedly caught in Essex
- 4 Assault in Dunmow's Tesco car park
- 5 Solar farm planning application near Thaxted
- 6 Memories are made of this for Bob as Barnston and High Roding meet at last
- 7 Essex: More Electric Vehicles needed to meet goals
- 8 Plans for 18 houses in Countryside Protection Zone near Stansted Airport
- 9 Court imposes five year ban on shoplifter
- 10 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
Tesco was the first retailer to trial drive-through supermarkets in Baldock and Romford in August 2010. The trial is now being extended to another twelve stores nationwide.
Customers order on the website, choosing the ‘Click & Collect’ option and book a two-hour collection slot. They can collect anytime inside this two-hour window.
They drive up to the collection point and staff come to the car window, so there is no need to get out. The shopping is then packed into the boot. A �2 charge is added for the service.
WHAT do you think? Will you use the new service? E-mail us, firstname.lastname@example.org or Tweets us @NickPJThompson.