Teenager set for ‘once in a lifetime opportunity’ thanks to support of Great Dunmow business
- Credit: Archant
A Felsted pupil will be embarking on a “once in a lifetime” trip to Kenya after beating 2,500 other hopefuls from across the UK.
Josh Wisbey, 16, is one of 40 cadets who will be travelling to the small town of Sagana, in the Kirinyaga district, where the troop will stay for almost three weeks to refurbish classrooms and facilities in the local school.
His adventure will take place next month and there are also plans for exciting excursions, including a trek through Hells Gate National Park, north west of Narobi, which is one of the hottest places on earth and climbing the highest mountain in the country, Mount Kenya.
The Little Sampford resident, who is a cadet in Felsted School’s Combined Cadet Force (CCF), not only had to apply in writing to take part in the adventure, run by the Ministry of Defence (MOD), he also had to compete gruelling physical tests.
He said: “It was pretty amazing to be selected because I know it is a once in a lifetime opportunity.”
All the kit the teenager needs for the trip has been provided by Jacks of Dunmow. Along with sponsorship, the North Street store has been a real source of knowledge on what Josh needs to take with him.
The teenager said: “I am so grateful Jacks has stepped in and sponsored me. Not only will it save me some money but it means I will be prepared in the best possible way for the climate out there. I am also glad I will be able to support a local business while on the trip.”
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 4 High Roding continue excellent start, as Aythorpe, Dunmow suffer defeats
- 5 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 6 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 7 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 8 Recap: A120 reopens near Stansted Airport after 'police incident'
- 9 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
- 10 Dunmow Velo: New group ride for beginners as RideLondon due
Owner of Jacks, Darren Cox, said: “We were delighted to be approached by Josh for such a worthy cause. For a trip like this where literally the temperature can go from sub-zero to boiling point overnight, having the right kit makes all the difference.
“We approached Berghaus, outdoor and equipment specialist clothing supplier, who were also pleased to contribute. We wish Josh the best of luck.”