Teacher in concert for cancer charity
A FELSTED music teacher is hoping to raise awareness of cancer following his own battle with the disease. Martin Donald, 58, contracted bowel cancer last year and has been fighting it with the help of doctors and nurses and Broomfield Hospital, finally ge
A FELSTED music teacher is hoping to raise awareness of cancer following his own battle with the disease.
Martin Donald, 58, contracted bowel cancer last year and has been fighting it with the help of doctors and nurses and Broomfield Hospital, finally getting the all clear on Wednesday (April 23).
But is drive hasn't stopped there, Martin now wants to put his musical talents to work and perform a one off concert in a bid to raise general awareness of this very common disease and is determined to prove to others that it can be beaten.
Martin said: "I was quite lucky really because bowel cancer has a good rate of success when it comes to treatment, other cancers are not so, the nurses at Broomfield were amazing considering they have to deal with doom and gloom almost everyday."
You may also want to watch:
Surgeons gave him the all clear following an histology report last week and Martin was obviously delighted as well as relieved. He said: "It is amazing how the disease can sap your strength and drain you of all your stamina. I'm so glad to be back teaching now, I've started doing short days and building my strength back up to go full time."
Martin will need his strength if his dream of a massive fundraising concert is to come true. At the moment preparations are reaching an advanced stage, the night will be held at Halstead Empire on October 12 will feature lots of musical favourites, featuring 60's legends Fat Old Dad, plus a sprinkling of comedy. All of the proceeds will go to Cancer Research UK. Martin said: "This is my way of saying how grateful I am for the care I received and a big thankyou to friends and family who have supported me, let's raise lots of money for a terrific cause.
- 1 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 2 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 3 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 4 High Easter claim Division Two title with win over Great Bradfords
- 5 New mayor and deputy mayor appointed for town council
- 6 Concerns that Covid lockdowns has caused fitness levels to drop
- 7 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 8 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 9 Dunmow Cricket Club announces new sponsor
- 10 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust