Talk raises money for RNLI
THE Dunmow Branch of the RNLI hosted a supper with a talk at Great Saling on Saturday (November 25). More than 100 people attended the Millennium Hall and sat down to a meal prepared by Kate Martin and her helpers. Afterwards they listened to an illustrat
THE Dunmow Branch of the RNLI hosted a supper with a talk at Great Saling on Saturday (November 25).
More than 100 people attended the Millennium Hall and sat down to a meal prepared by Kate Martin and her helpers. Afterwards they listened to an illustrated talk given Bill and Anita Miller recounting their circumnavigatiion of the UK in 2005.
The Cruising Association arranged a Rally as part of the Trafalgar Bi-Centenary celebrations. Bill and Anita joined this Rally with about 30 other boats the zenith of the trip being a meal together in Scapa Flow on mid-summer's day.
Bill had suffered a major stroke in 1999 and a great spur to his recovery was his determination to be able to sail again. He also recognises the great help the Stroke Association has been to him and he raised, by sponsorship, over £14,000 on their behalf.
Like all good sailors the Millers also support the RNLI and were happy to report this event raised about £1800 for the institute.
David Barber, chairman of the local branch, thanked Bill and Anita for entertaining members so well by showing them parts of the UK which most had not seen before.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 5 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 6 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 7 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 8 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 9 110 homes near Stansted Airport: design and details approved
- 10 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
He presented them with a cheque for the Stroke Association.
The RNLI branch's next meeting is a 'Madeira Morning' on Sunday March 10 at 11am in Mill Cottage, Mill Lane, Felsted by kind permission of Rr and Mrs David Martin.