Swimming club at risk of closure
A FALL in members threatens the future of Dunmow Masters swimming club. The adult swimming club, which has been going since 2000, meets at Great Dunmow Sports Centre every Wednesday between 8 and 9pm. It currently has 15 members aged from 16. Club treasu
A FALL in members threatens the future of Dunmow Masters swimming club.
The adult swimming club, which has been going since 2000, meets at Great Dunmow Sports Centre every Wednesday between 8 and 9pm. It currently has 15 members aged from 16.
Club treasurer Claire Newman said: "The sports centre has been very good to us, but fees have to be paid and this can't be done with only 15 members.
"We've got to the point where we are eating into our funds and if we don't get more members we will have to fold. We are frantically appealing for new members."
You may also want to watch:
The group, registered with the national governing body of swimming and diving, Amateur Swimming Association (ASA) also takes part in numerous national competitions.
Mrs Newman said: "We've taken part in many competitions. Our last was in Norwich at The University of East Anglia in May and was particularly successful, with our swimmers coming home with gold and silver medals."
- 1 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 2 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 3 New mayor and deputy mayor appointed for town council
- 4 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 5 High Easter claim Division Two title with win over Great Bradfords
- 6 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 7 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 8 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
- 9 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 10 Dunmow councillors to devise climate action plan
Other swimmers in the team, are currently training hard, speeding up their swimming times for this year's London Triathlon on August 5.
Mrs Newman said: "It's a 25 metre pool and less than three years old. It's a really beautiful pool and has everything you need: diving blocks, flags to aid those doing backstroke, and the ropes we use to section lanes off are special anti-turbulent ropes which curb any waves caused by the swimmer in the lane next to you."
Club sessions will be continuing uninterrupted throughout the whole of the summer holidays.
Sessions cost between £4 and £5 and are paid in 10-weekly blocks, with members having the option of paying each week as they go along.
For more details call Claire Newman on 01279 870656.