Sweet-tooth Beattie celebrates 102 years
LIFE has been sweet for Dunmow resident Beattie Sage who celebrated her one hundred and second birthday on Wednesday. Born in a sweet shop in Tottenham, Beattie still has a taste for confectionary. When asked what her secret to a long life has been, she s
LIFE has been sweet for Dunmow resident Beattie Sage who celebrated her one hundred and second birthday on Wednesday.
Born in a sweet shop in Tottenham, Beattie still has a taste for confectionary.
When asked what her secret to a long life has been, she said: "I always enjoy myself and I do like my sweets."
It would seem that it's not just a sweet tooth she has as she is a popular resident at Redbond Lodge in Dunmow.
Teresa Horn, care team manager at the home, said: "She's an adorable lady. She's so sweet and she laughs all day."
Beattie has one special friend that is constantly with her.
- 1 Dunmow's Stables Hotel could become flats as business 'no longer viable'
- 2 Thaxted community in shock after fatal house fire
- 3 'Many questions' claim as Uttlesford leader John Lodge announces resignation
- 4 Finchingfield's Bethany Shriever crowned Young Sportswoman of the Year
- 5 Dunmow TKD enjoy medal-laden trip to British Championships
- 6 Great Dunmow restaurant Jalsa Ghar at the British Curry Awards
- 7 In pictures: Santa's sleigh is in the Dunmow district
- 8 More jab capacity planned in North Uttlesford as Omicron variant appears
- 9 Christmas in Essex: 9 magical places to visit in winter
- 10 30 new homes proposed for Hatfield Broad Oak
"She's got a white teddy-bear with a knitted dress and she takes it everywhere, even to bed with her," explained Mrs Horn.
Despite her advanced years, Beattie still likes to knit scarves and when members of staff who have had babies bring them in, she loves to give them a cuddle .
Beattie celebrated her birthday with fellow residents and staff at Redbond Lodge in the dining room where they enjoyed a spread of food, some sherry and sparkling white wine and joined in with a sing-a-long.
And, with Beattie's sweet tooth in mind, the day wouldn't have been complete without a cake that was specially made for the occasion.