Sweet-tooth Beattie celebrates 102 years
LIFE has been sweet for Dunmow resident Beattie Sage who celebrated her one hundred and second birthday on Wednesday. Born in a sweet shop in Tottenham, Beattie still has a taste for confectionary. When asked what her secret to a long life has been, she s
LIFE has been sweet for Dunmow resident Beattie Sage who celebrated her one hundred and second birthday on Wednesday.
Born in a sweet shop in Tottenham, Beattie still has a taste for confectionary.
When asked what her secret to a long life has been, she said: "I always enjoy myself and I do like my sweets."
It would seem that it's not just a sweet tooth she has as she is a popular resident at Redbond Lodge in Dunmow.
Teresa Horn, care team manager at the home, said: "She's an adorable lady. She's so sweet and she laughs all day."
Beattie has one special friend that is constantly with her.
- 1 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 2 Dunmow pilots airlift medical aid to help Ukraine
- 3 Life-saving kit that residents hope they will never use
- 4 Stebbing Tractor Run: This is the new route for 2022
- 5 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
- 6 Dunmow Velo: New group ride for beginners as RideLondon due
- 7 Musical theatre stars to bring the West End to Saffron Walden in celebration of Rodgers & Hammerstein
- 8 How to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in Essex
- 9 Aythorpe Roding come up short in league opener
- 10 Great Dunmow's Soapbox Race's thrills and spills in pictures
"She's got a white teddy-bear with a knitted dress and she takes it everywhere, even to bed with her," explained Mrs Horn.
Despite her advanced years, Beattie still likes to knit scarves and when members of staff who have had babies bring them in, she loves to give them a cuddle .
Beattie celebrated her birthday with fellow residents and staff at Redbond Lodge in the dining room where they enjoyed a spread of food, some sherry and sparkling white wine and joined in with a sing-a-long.
And, with Beattie's sweet tooth in mind, the day wouldn't have been complete without a cake that was specially made for the occasion.