PEOPLE flocked to the Continental Market in Dunmow on Saturday and gave it a resounding thumbs up. Lining both sides of Market Place, which had been closed especially for the occasion, traders reported a busy day. Martin Gleabe, who ran the fudge stall, h
PEOPLE flocked to the Continental Market in Dunmow on Saturday and gave it a resounding thumbs up.
Lining both sides of Market Place, which had been closed especially for the occasion, traders reported a busy day.
Martin Gleabe, who ran the fudge stall, had come from Northern Ireland and has travelled with the market across Europe.
"This is a great town. It has been very busy. The produce we sell is checked for quality and I think people appreciate good quality things are well worth buying," he said.
Cllr Robert Fox was enjoying a browse.
"When you go abroad and see pavement culture and markets like this, it makes you realise what we have lost in this country.
- 1 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 2 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 3 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
- 4 Jailed: 'Selfish' 135mph driver spotted speeding on M11 near Woodford
- 5 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 6 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
- 7 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
- 8 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 9 How to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in Essex
- 10 Hannah Mortier returns to boxing to raise awareness of the fight against domestic violence
"I would like to see us move more towards that sort of culture and I know we could do it if we put our minds to it," he said.
Co-owner of The Starr Louise George said: "All of the shops around have said they have been much busier than normal.
"It would be nice to see this sort of thing in the town more often. It brings people out."
Ed and Jess Horrocks, of Lukins Drive, Dunmow, took their two daughters to the market. She said: "This is a great thing to have in town.
"It's nice having the road closed for a safer feel and it creates a lovely atmosphere. I'd like to see a market held in this area every week.