Students’ school play will be ‘Madness’
THIS year the annual Helena Romanes School play is being produced by a committee of sixth form Students rather than by the drama and music staff.
The production Our House features the music and lyrics of the band Madness.
The story follows 16-year-old Joe as he makes a choice between good and bad behaviour. His parallel lives are then chronicled using the band’s hugely popular songs.
The West End production of the musical won the Laurence Olivier Award for Best New Musical in 2003.
The sixth form student production team includes:
Director – Heather Cox, Year 13
Assistant Director – Abbie Woolcott, Year 13
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 3 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 4 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 5 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 High Roding continue excellent start, as Aythorpe, Dunmow suffer defeats
- 10 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
Musical Director – Izzy Spint, Year 13
Assistant Musical Director – Samantha Keys, Year 11
Choreographer – Rosie Field, Year 13
Assistant Choreographer – Ben Love, Year 13
Head of Drama and Media at the school Steph Stewart said of the students taking charge this year: “It has been really positive leaving the creativity to far superior people and to realize the full potential of the students.”
On Tuesday a preview performance is presented to year six pupils from local primary schools.
Our House then runs on January 12, 13 and 14 at 7pm.
Tickets, �6.50/�5, are available from the school by calling 01371 872560.