Community rallies with Christmas gifts
- Credit: Katie Clayden
A kind-hearted woman is thrilled to have received community support to ensure that those less fortunate have a present for Christmas.
Katie Clayden from Stebbing has delivered gifts to 13 people in the community and generous supporters were still offering donations to help, having read about her plans by reading about them online.
She approached the women’s refuge centre in Essex and asked if they would like some donations. They said yes. Another refuge centre has also been in touch.
The Christmas tree outside Tesco Great Notley is also helping - it’s a giving tree and has tags on it with children’s ages for gifts for one of the other refuges that Katie is collecting donations for.
“The general public take a tag from the tree and bring a present back for that aged child,” Katie said.
You may also want to watch:
Her employer in Bishop’s Stortford has donated substantial money so gifts can be purchased.
The Rose Garden florist in Dunmow donated cellophane so that packs of treats such as smellies and socks can be made up into care packages for mums in the refuges, The Curiosity Shop has donated gifts, and Great Dunmow Fencing Supplies has donated the money they raised from a Christmas jumper day.
- 1 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 2 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 3 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 4 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 5 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
- 6 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 7 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 8 Summer art competition for children launched by school
- 9 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 10 New cycle network consultation announced
She’s already had a message back from one of the refuges. It reads: “Your donations mean we can provide our amazing families with the opportunity to have a lovely Christmas. Thank you so much and please know your donations will be put towards making a child smile this Christmas.”
Katie said she wants to thank everyone who has helped her.
“It really is fantastic, it’s a nice end to the year.”
If you’d like to help, contact Katie via Facebook or email firstname.lastname@example.org