Stebbing Brownies are going green!
STEBBING Brownies showed their passion towards helping climate change during a carrier bag-free project. The group has been following the environmental organisation WWF s One Planet Challenge, part of the Changing World Challenge – a Girl Guiding i
STEBBING Brownies showed their passion towards helping climate change during a carrier bag-free project.
The group has been following the environmental organisation WWF's One Planet Challenge, part of the Changing World Challenge - a Girl Guiding initiative involving 18 partner organisations - and have studied the topics of the food we eat, energy, and the things we throw away.
Brown Owl Lorraine Irani said: "We looked at how the food choices we make can affect the habitats and species of animals and how we could change this by buying local produce with recyclable packaging
"We looked at our carbon footprint, how it affects climate change, and the ways we can cut it down. And we looked at how what we throw away affects the marine life."
You may also want to watch:
To get their message across, each brownie designed their own reusable bags to encourage others to change their habits.
They will issue the bag to a family member and get their parents and families to sign a pledge not to use carrier bags.
- 1 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
- 2 The Maltings – where would be we without our Friends?
- 3 The benefits of the great outdoors
- 4 MasterChef winner Chef Webb's lockdown recipe
- 5 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 6 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 7 Covid jabs have started at Broomfield Hospital's Vaccination Hub
- 8 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 9 Stations benefit from funding
- 10 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
"Over all I think we have seen how a few small changes really can make a difference," said Mrs Irani.
"So the message from the Second Stebbing Brownies is please recycle and think about the things you buy and the packaging. Don't use carrier bags!"
Second Stebbing Brownies organisers are eager to set up a Girl Guide unit in the village. If you interested in getting involved, call Mrs Irani on 07788 412813 for more details.