Star Andrea scoops award
TALENTED pupil Andrea Smith-Valls has won an academic scholarship at Felsted School for her linguistic talent. The 13-year-old speaks a remarkable four languages; French, German and Spanish, as well as her native English tongue. Andrea s mother, Marta, a
TALENTED pupil Andrea Smith-Valls has won an academic scholarship at Felsted School for her linguistic talent.
The 13-year-old speaks a remarkable four languages; French, German and Spanish, as well as her native English tongue.
Andrea's mother, Marta, a teacher said: "Being of Spanish origin myself has helped Andrea, but the excellent standard of teaching has developed her languages at Felsted School and in particular the fact that she will be able to take the Baccalaureate Diploma in Sixth Form."
Andrea said: "My mother started speaking Spanish to me at a very early age, I picked it up immediately. I then started learning French at school when I was four-years-old and German when I was 12."
You may also want to watch:
Her father, David Smith, was particularly thrilled at his daughter's success, as he is a housemaster at the preparatory school.
He said: "It's unusual for a child of this age to have the opportunity to learn three languages and Andrea has taken full advantage of this."
- 1 In pictures: Fun at the 2021 Great Dunmow Teddy Bears' picnic
- 2 In pictures: Post box knitting celebrates Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Tom Daley
- 3 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 4 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 5 Jobs boost for community as Dunmow's Caremark sees demand surge
- 6 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 7 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 8 Thieves swap elderly hospital patient’s ‘precious’ rings with tin bands
- 9 Former Tring Athletic boss Kevin Christou named as new manager at Dunmow Town
- 10 Chelmsford beer festival cancelled for 2021 by Covid concerns
Andrea's 11-year-old brother, also called David, speaks a little Spanish too and also is also a pupil at Felsted School, going into Year 7 from September.
Despite having visited Spain and France on numerous occasions with her family, the
German-speaking pupil is yet to visit the country saying: "I have not yet visited Germany but am really looking forward to doing so in the future."
The aspiring actress, who was also awarded with a drama scholarship at the school said: "I was very pleased to hear I had got it as I worked so hard for it."
Felsted Preparatory School has recently launched a new Outstanding Talent Award for children entering the school at the age 11. This can be academic or music related, but could also include other sporting or cultural talents. Contact the school for further details on 01371 822611.