Stansted bid turned down
BAA S application to have the passenger cap at Stansted Airport removed was turned down by Uttlesford District Council yesterday (Wednesday). The operator had applied for the withdrawl of the restriction, which was imposed by the council in 2003 limiting
BAA'S application to have the passenger cap at Stansted Airport removed was turned down by Uttlesford District Council yesterday (Wednesday).
The operator had applied for the withdrawl of the restriction, which was imposed by the council in 2003 limiting 25 million passengers per annum to pass through the airport.
Planning officers last week recommended the Development Control Committee turn down the application, citing nine reasons including potentially negative impacts on noise, air quality, road and rail networks, water consumption and quality of life.
The application only affected the current runway and was not part of plans for a second runway.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Alan Dean, who represents Stansted South, is on the council's Stansted Airport Advisory Panel, and told the committee: "Your decision this afternoon could make history and help set the tone for a major rethink about the future of all transport."
Cllr Christina Cant, chairman of the Development Control Committee, proposed that the application was rejected for the reasons cited in the report. This was unanimously supported by the rest of the committee.
- 1 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 2 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 3 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 4 Join Pam on sponsored 'walkies' for Guide Dogs
- 5 Almost 800 Essex patients take part in Covid-19 Recovery trial
- 6 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 7 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 8 Takeley virtual consultation opens
- 9 Actor Ray Winstone's video appeal helps double air ambulance's 'brick' sales
- 10 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
BAA did not take the opportunity to address the committee as it believed the case for approving the application had been made.
But Terry Morgan, managing director BAA Stansted, responded quickly to the decision. He said: "Let's be clear. This planning application is all about growth on the existing single runway at Stansted, it has nothing to do with our plans for a second runway.
"That will be an entirely separate planning application to be made next year. We intend to immediately appeal against this decision and will take our case to a public inquiry.
"No-one should be in any doubt that we remain very confident of the case we have made.