SSE protestors stepping out
STOP Stansted Expansion (SSE) is holding a heritage hike on Sunday September 20 to highlight the potential threat to historic homes, countryside and the community from a second runway at Stansted Airport. A four-mile circular walk has been organised by
STOP Stansted Expansion (SSE) is holding a 'heritage hike' on Sunday September 20 to highlight the potential threat to historic homes, countryside and the community from a second runway at Stansted Airport.
A four-mile circular walk has been organised by SSE's footpaths expert Stuart Walker in conjunction with Douglas Kent, technical adviser to the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings.
Hikers will set off at 2pm after a commemorative photo from Molehill Green. Route maps and descriptions of historical sites will be provided to those taking part and a sizzling barbecue will be held from 1pm to 5pm for departing and returning ramblers.
SSE's campaign director, Carol Barbone, said: "This is our eighth annual ramble and the emphasis on heritage this year is designed to remind people about the lasting impacts on communities in this area if the runway were ever to be constructed."
You may also want to watch:
The event is free but those who want to seek sponsorship or make donations at the event can do so.
More information on the Heritage Hike and a sponsorship form are available at www.stopstanstedexpansion.com or by calling 01279 870558.
- 1 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 2 Care at home: what is it, and how can it help?
- 3 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 4 More work needed ahead of holiday easing, Stansted says
- 5 Stansted author to release second novel
- 6 Super six for High Easter as they turn on the style against Coggeshall Town youngsters
- 7 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 8 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
- 9 Take away Covid self tests from Thaxted library
- 10 Town council challenges water softening decision