Sporting names at Rotary dinner
ROTARIANS of Dunmow raised more that £5000 at its annual Sportsman s Dinner at Foakes Hall in Dunmow last week. More than 180 people attended the fund-raising dinner to listen to guest speakers former England and West Ham footballer Tony Cottee, and ITV S
ROTARIANS of Dunmow raised more that £5000 at its annual Sportsman's Dinner at Foakes Hall in Dunmow last week.
More than 180 people attended the fund-raising dinner to listen to guest speakers former England and West Ham footballer Tony Cottee, and ITV Sports commentator Graham Miller.
Chris Dyer, chairman of SportsAid Eastern Region, gave a speech on the SportsAid charity, sponsored by the dinner.
He said: "I would like to express my appreciation to Betfair for supporting this event by giving £1 for every £1 raised by Dunmow Rotary Club tonight."
You may also want to watch:
The SportsAid aim is to help next generation sports youngsters. In Dunmow top England qualifiers have already been helped with Stephen Sewell, Caroline, Kathryn and Daisy Ward will be among those being assisted for their opportunity to represent England at the Olympics in 2012.
Members of the audience were given the opportunity to ask the speakers questions.
- 1 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 2 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 3 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
- 4 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 5 Stebbing on the verge of becoming 'small town', residents fear
- 6 Pets Corner: It's time to get your dog back to training class
- 7 Coronavirus rates in Essex are doubling every 10 days
- 8 This week's paper: Dunmow Broadcast on July 22, 2021
- 9 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 10 Fun T2 cricket match and BBQ help to celebrate Dunmow's 125th anniversary
One in particular raised a big laugh and great applause when Mr Cottee was asked "Can West Ham United be PROMOTED next season?"
A special thank you was made to rotarian Peter Fox and his team, for making the event possible.
Past Rotarian president Robin Lee gave an appreciation to the speakers and to the supporters who help their fund-raising projects for those in need of support locally, nationally and overseas.