Sporting names at Rotary dinner
ROTARIANS of Dunmow raised more that £5000 at its annual Sportsman s Dinner at Foakes Hall in Dunmow last week. More than 180 people attended the fund-raising dinner to listen to guest speakers former England and West Ham footballer Tony Cottee, and ITV S
ROTARIANS of Dunmow raised more that £5000 at its annual Sportsman's Dinner at Foakes Hall in Dunmow last week.
More than 180 people attended the fund-raising dinner to listen to guest speakers former England and West Ham footballer Tony Cottee, and ITV Sports commentator Graham Miller.
Chris Dyer, chairman of SportsAid Eastern Region, gave a speech on the SportsAid charity, sponsored by the dinner.
He said: "I would like to express my appreciation to Betfair for supporting this event by giving £1 for every £1 raised by Dunmow Rotary Club tonight."
You may also want to watch:
The SportsAid aim is to help next generation sports youngsters. In Dunmow top England qualifiers have already been helped with Stephen Sewell, Caroline, Kathryn and Daisy Ward will be among those being assisted for their opportunity to represent England at the Olympics in 2012.
Members of the audience were given the opportunity to ask the speakers questions.
- 1 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 2 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 3 New mayor and deputy mayor appointed for town council
- 4 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 5 High Easter claim Division Two title with win over Great Bradfords
- 6 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 7 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 8 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 9 Dunmow councillors to devise climate action plan
- 10 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
One in particular raised a big laugh and great applause when Mr Cottee was asked "Can West Ham United be PROMOTED next season?"
A special thank you was made to rotarian Peter Fox and his team, for making the event possible.
Past Rotarian president Robin Lee gave an appreciation to the speakers and to the supporters who help their fund-raising projects for those in need of support locally, nationally and overseas.