Special award for out-going mayor
A SPECIAL award was presented to Cllr Frank Silver at a meeting of the Town Council on Thursday. The plaque, presented by in-coming mayor Cllr Carol James, was in recognition of the outstanding work he put into his role of town mayor despite extreme diffi
A SPECIAL award was presented to Cllr Frank Silver at a meeting of the Town Council on Thursday.
The plaque, presented by in-coming mayor Cllr Carol James, was in recognition of the outstanding work he put into his role of town mayor despite extreme difficulties in his personal life.
Cllr Silver said: "I didn't expect it at all. It was a very well kept secret. It seems everyone knew about it except for me. It was really nice to receive."
During his year as mayor, which officially ends on the same day as Tony Blair steps down as Prime Minister, June 27, Cllr Silver has raised more than
£19,000 and nearly 50 grants have been awarded to help worthy causes in and around Dunmow.
Cllr Silver said there had been many highlights to his year.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 3 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 4 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 5 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 High Roding continue excellent start, as Aythorpe, Dunmow suffer defeats
- 10 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
"The Dunmow Carnival was fantastic. I really enjoyed myself, after all, all I had to do was sit in a car and wave," he said.
Cllr Silver added: "I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as mayor and there are some people I would like to thank for their support. They include the members of the council, town clerk Owen Wilson, my wife Blanche, and my family who have all been there to support me.