“Sorry” text message before drug related death
A TEXT reading “Sorry I have let you down again” was the last message a wife received from her husband shortly before he died of a drug overdose, an inquest has heard.
Martin Scott, 39, from Brewers End, Takeley, was found dead at his home on February 2 after taking a lethal cocktail of heroin, morphine and cocaine.
Mr Scott had been a user of recreational drugs but is understood to have been “clean” for a sustained period of time prior to his death.
In a statement read out by coroner Chinyere Inyama during the inquest in Chelmsford on Friday (May 28), Mr Scott’s wife, Kelly, said: “He left to go shopping in Harlow in the morning and was his usual chirpy self. He came back really late after I went to bed.”
When asked if she was surprised about his death, she replied “very”. She added: “I thought he might be using, but I didn’t know – I’ve never done these bad things.”
According to toxicology reports Mr Scott had taken morphine and heroin and also a smaller amount of cocaine. That mix led to him suffering from a heart attack and he subsequently died at his home.
Mr Inyama recorded a verdict of accidental death. Summing up he said: “He did not intend to take his own life. I give my condolences to his wife and his children.”
- 1 Bardfield cottage transformed into scrumptious-looking gingerbread house for Christmas
- 2 Olympic gold medallist Beth Shriever switches on Finchingfield's Christmas tree lights
- 3 Parishes join forces to oppose 'unsustainable' housing idea near Hatfield Heath
- 4 First Sunday in December marked with Live Nativity in Great Dunmow
- 5 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 6 Essex buildings are lit up in green for awareness campaign
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences at Stansted Airport
- 8 Uttlesford elects its first female leader in council's 47-year history
- 9 'Massive' headliners set to be announced for Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up
- 10 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today