Sir Alan was worried’ about Uttlesford BNP voters before BBC show Question Time
BNP support in Uttlesford is very worrying according to the district s leading politician. Sir Alan Haselhurst has given his view on voters for the party, whose leader, Nick Griffin, appeared on BBC show Question Time on Thursday night (October 22). Com
BNP support in Uttlesford is "very worrying" according to the district's leading politician.
Sir Alan Haselhurst has given his view on voters for the party, whose leader, Nick Griffin, appeared on BBC show Question Time on Thursday night (October 22).
Commenting on the county council elections that took place earlier this year, when the British National Party tabled a better than expected result, he said: "People in Uttlesford are generally rational people and to see the BNP picking up votes in the county council elections was very worrying.
"It seems to me that votes were used as a protest or as simply a gesture of anger in the extreme, after the expenses row.
You may also want to watch:
"Protest votes have happened before and they will probably happen again during next year's general election - but people will judge their MP on the individual experiences they have of them."
WHAT do you think? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 2 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 3 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 4 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 5 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 6 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 7 Felsted announces STEM competition winners
- 8 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 9 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 10 Your opinion matters: Help to shape the future of your newspaper