Sir Alan was worried’ about Uttlesford BNP voters before BBC show Question Time
BNP support in Uttlesford is very worrying according to the district s leading politician. Sir Alan Haselhurst has given his view on voters for the party, whose leader, Nick Griffin, appeared on BBC show Question Time on Thursday night (October 22). Com
BNP support in Uttlesford is "very worrying" according to the district's leading politician.
Sir Alan Haselhurst has given his view on voters for the party, whose leader, Nick Griffin, appeared on BBC show Question Time on Thursday night (October 22).
Commenting on the county council elections that took place earlier this year, when the British National Party tabled a better than expected result, he said: "People in Uttlesford are generally rational people and to see the BNP picking up votes in the county council elections was very worrying.
"It seems to me that votes were used as a protest or as simply a gesture of anger in the extreme, after the expenses row.
You may also want to watch:
"Protest votes have happened before and they will probably happen again during next year's general election - but people will judge their MP on the individual experiences they have of them."
WHAT do you think? E-mail us at email@example.com.
- 1 Council agrees to 'complicated' parking charges at Hylands Park
- 2 Rural ramblers efforts for Helen Rollason Cancer Charity
- 3 Universal Credit: Help is still out there, says Essex County Council
- 4 Creamfields Chelmsford 2022 tickets to go on sale this month
- 5 It's pumpkin picking season again at Cammas Hall Farm as Halloween approaches
- 6 Book exchange opens in Dunmow
- 7 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 8 Tributes paid to PC Tris Baker who died in Roxwell collision
- 9 Conservative MP David Amess dies after being stabbed in Essex constituency
- 10 Hylands Park's new parking charges will be lowered, says council