Service held to restore Little Easton War Memorial
- Credit: Archant
The rededication of Little Easton’s War Memorial took place on Sunday (May 29), with a service by Canon Ivy Crawford attended by 70 people and the blessing of three memorial benches to people dear to the village.
There are two new benches, one memory of George Weston, landlord of The Stag pub, and an active member of the Royal British Legion, who died in April aged 68. His wife, Rose was at the ceremony.
Another has been named in honour of Bruce Marshall who was born in the village and installed in the presence of his children, Jessica and Brian. The third bench had been previously placed in the village by Jenny Green, a long term and active resident, in memory of her husband Geoff who died in 1999.
The memorial itself has been cleaned and restored and new railings installed with parish funds from Little Easton Parish Council and grants from Uttlesford District Council.
The restoration, which has taken two years, was co-ordinated by parish councillor Doug Wyatt.
You may also want to watch:
Parish council chairman, Chris Audritt said: “The war memorial is an important feature in the village. It was looking a bit tired. The wall and the railings along with the gate had deteriorated badly over the years and needed to be replaced. We’ve had it cleaned and washed the stone and tidied the garden. Next spring we will plant fresh flowers round it. This is great example of the parish council working closely with the district council to restore an important and historic feature within the village to the benefit of the community.”
- 1 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 2 Dunmow tributes to Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
- 3 Online Young Musician competition launched by Dunmow Rotarians
- 4 Lockdown easing: 'Shop abuse will not be tolerated'
- 5 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 6 Care at home: what is it, and how can it help?
- 7 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 8 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 9 Saffron Walden Musical Theatre Company announces musicals
- 10 Residents urged to have their say in housing consultation