Second snowfall of winter across Uttlesford
- Credit: Archant
With a weather warning that tomorrow (Thursday, December 27) will be more treacherous than today (Wednesday, December 27) a blanket of snow turned Thaxted into a Christmas card scene on the first working day after Christmas.
The snow was so heavy that families were even deterred from staying out in the snow and enjoying it. Some turned up with sledges but risked getting wet through as the downfall persisted and went back home into the warm and dry. By noon, the town centre was pretty much deserted
The roads between Thaxted and Saffron Walden and Thaxted and Dunmow were treacherous being slippery and slushy and traffic sensibly slowed down.
Our photographer Roger King who took these pictures in Thaxted said: “No-one was driving at more than 30 miles an hour and everyone was being cautious.”
According to the weather forecast, there is a risk of ice overnight, so that tomorrow will have an icy start to the day with more potential to cause disruption than today.
You may also want to watch:
Snow also affected the north of the district, with heavy rain and melting snow causing localised flooding, including on the road between Radwinter and Saffron Walden.
- 1 New Stansted business park could support more than 3,000 jobs
- 2 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 3 New Hylands Estate parking charges explained
- 4 Bid to 'join' Dunmow and Easton with more than 1,000 homes blocked
- 5 Ball bearings shot at Leaden Roding car
- 6 'Outstanding' Town Award winners unveiled
- 7 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 8 Creamfields Chelmsford 2022 tickets to go on sale this month
- 9 Valentine's Flitch Ball to take place this February
- 10 Essex Highways proposes 11-week closure to main road near Thaxted