Schoolchildren in Christmas box appeal
IMPOVERISHED children in war-torn and volatile areas of the world will receive presents from Dunmow schoolchildren this Christmas, thanks to a charity scheme. Children at St Mary s Primary School in Dunmow are taking part in Operation Christmas Child, a n
IMPOVERISHED children in war-torn and volatile areas of the world will receive presents from Dunmow schoolchildren this Christmas, thanks to a charity scheme.
Children at St Mary's Primary School in Dunmow are taking part in Operation Christmas Child, a national project run by the charity Samaritan's Purse.
School admin assistant Shirley Golding said: "Children at the school have been encouraged to fill shoeboxes with items to be sent to children who would otherwise receive nothing.
"Last year 34,000 boxes were sent out from the Chelmsford warehouse alone, to parts of the world including Romania, Bosnia and Kosovo.
You may also want to watch:
"The children really enjoy doing this and many of them go out and buy items specifically to send them in the shoeboxes.
"A couple of Samaritan's Purse representatives came in and showed the children a DVD that showed some of the boxes being opened by the children receiving them, who were overwhelmed.
- 1 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 2 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 3 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 4 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 5 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 6 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 7 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 8 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 9 Join Pam on sponsored 'walkies' for Guide Dogs
- 10 Dunmow businesses delighted to be back as lockdown eases
"I think it gives the children a sense of what goes on in the world, and how lucky they are to receive all the presents they do - it helps them realise that there are children out there who really do have nothing.