School’s in tune with music
ROCK n roll was on the agenda at the Helena Romanes School as it hosted its annual Battle of the Bands concert on Thursday. Prizes totalling £150 were competed for by six bands made up of pupils from the school as they tried to win the accolade of best
ROCK 'n' roll was on the agenda at the Helena Romanes School as it hosted its annual Battle of the Bands concert on Thursday.
Prizes totalling £150 were competed for by six bands made up of pupils from the school as they tried to win the accolade of best band or best song.
Those in the running were; Greg, Bash the Bishop, Sugar God, Sid's Band, Shoemonkey and Omnitempest.
Martin Potts, drummer for Omnitempest, said: "I'm in year 12 now and have been playing the drums since I was four. It's my first time at battle of the bands, but I think its great; 300 people here doesn't make me nervous, the more the merrier!"
You may also want to watch:
Students are invited to submit bands every year by head of music, Karen Brown.
She said: "We encourage all ages from the school to take part every year. This is the forth one I have helped organise, in the past it has been just the older students. Any money we make after the prizes are given out is spent on music equipment for the pupils."
- 1 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 2 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 3 New Dunmow school approved but safety fears aired
- 4 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 5 Great Easton pub sells at auction
- 6 More history made by Dunmow Taekwondo's talented students
- 7 'That's more like it' roars Takeley's John Hedges after comfortable win in pro fight number two
- 8 Woman taken to hospital after serious accident between Takeley and Dunmow
- 9 Residents urged to have their say in housing consultation
- 10 Laptops and jewellery stolen during Dunmow burglary
On the night guest Judge Neil Stewart, a music professional, awarded Bash the Bishop with the best band award and Omnitempest took home the gong for best original song.