Saffron Walden MP Kemi Badenoch: “Theresa May took on the toughest job in politics at a time when the country was deeply divided on Brexit.”
- Credit: Archant
Saffron Walden MP Kemi Badenoch says Theresa May displayed integrity and an “unflinching sense of public duty” as she tried to get her Brexit deal through parliament.
Mrs Badenoch spoke after Theresa May announced on Friday (May 24) that she would be standing down as Conservative leader on June 7, paving the way for a new prime minister.
Defending Mrs May, The Conservative MP said: "Theresa May took on the toughest job in politics at a time when the country was deeply divided on Brexit.
I understand and respect her decision to step down and deeply saddened that despite her integrity, hard work and unflinching sense of public duty the compromise which she sought to bring the country back together was rejected by parliament."
Mrs Badenoch went on: "The results of last week's European election show the country is still very much divided with both sides becoming more entrenched in their position.
You may also want to watch:
"As the Conservative Party looks for a new leader and Prime Minister, I will be voting for the person most capable of leading us through these difficult times, delivering Brexit and uniting the country."
Similarly, reacting to Theresa May's resignation speech on Twitter, Braintree MP James Cleverly said: "A dignified and moving speech, it is sad and disappointing that it has come to this."
- 1 A12 upgrade: 'The people who live here are not being considered'
- 2 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 3 Man dies after Roxwell collision, police confirm
- 4 Hatfield Heath air disaster memorial 'a symbol of UK-US unity'
- 5 Helena Romanes homes plan 'harmful urbanisation' says council
- 6 Moth night celebrates Dunmow's autumn biodiversity
- 7 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 8 Saffron Walden actress Tamara Lee Smart to star as Marilyn Monroe for one night in rehearsed play reading
- 9 Cash boost for plan to plant 350,000 trees in Essex
- 10 Thaxted Gardening and Craft Show winners revealed
In April Mr Cleverly was made a junior minister in the Government's Brexit department.
He now holds the position of Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Exiting the European Union.