Saffron Walden Maze Festival 2013 starts today (Friday August 8)
- Credit: Archant
SAFFRON Walden Maze Festival 2013 gest under way today – and there’ll be something for everyone to enjoy.
Saffron Walden is alone in the UK in having two historic mazes – the ancient turf labyrinth on the Common and the Victorian hedge maze in Bridge End Garden.
Mazes have many different aspects to them – historic, fun and games, spiritual and artistic – and they make this town of ours special.
To celebrate that uniqueness and to explore man’s fascination with mazes and labyrinths over the centuries, the Saffron Walden Initiative is once again holding a giant festival, starting today and continuing until Monday (August 19).
There’ll be an array of events and entertainment for people of all ages and interests, from maze-themed games and race to talks and exhibitions,
You may also want to watch:
And it has brought together the whole community, such as the recently-formed Town Team who have linked up to run a competition, as well as children and adults who have been busily making their own mazes.
“People have been really positive and like the fact we’ve organised things free as much as possible. It doesn’t exclude anyone,” said Barbara Wilcox, of the Saffron Walden Initiative.
- 1 Man dies after Roxwell collision, police confirm
- 2 A12 upgrade: 'The people who live here are not being considered'
- 3 Helena Romanes homes plan 'harmful urbanisation' says council
- 4 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 5 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 6 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 7 Essex initiative to support children in hospital reaches milestone
- 8 Community trees and bulbs to help tackle climate change
- 9 Essex Police issues update on Katie Price's alleged assault
- 10 Blue-green algae proves fatal for Doctor's Pond fish
“We wanted to help bring people into the town to support the local economy and provide something interesting and fun for everyone.
“This is a very wide ranging festival, from serious information, exhibitions and talks to lots of mazes around the town for people to enjoy and have fun with.”
For the full programme of events, click on the link to the top right of this page.