Round Table appeals for cyclists
DUNMOW Round Table has unveiled the bike it is hoping will raise £30,000 for good causes and clinch them a place in the Guinness Book of World Records this weekend. The seven-and-a-half tonne behemoth of a bicycle is 32m in length and puts the current rec
DUNMOW Round Table has unveiled the bike it is hoping will raise £30,000 for good causes and clinch them a place in the Guinness Book of World Records this weekend.
The seven-and-a-half tonne behemoth of a bicycle is 32m in length and puts the current record holder in the shade.
Shaun Pledger, Dunmow Round Table
chairman, said: "The current record for the number of people on a pedal-powered vehicle was set at 82 riders in Örnsköldsvik, Sweden.
You may also want to watch:
"Ours seats 104 riders and was built by Alloy Fabweld in Dunmow."
Members of the Round Table and volunteers, including The Dunmow Broadcast's very own Michael Boyton, will be riding the bike for 1000m along a taxi-way at Duxford Imperial War Museum on Saturday.
- 1 In pictures: Fun at the 2021 Great Dunmow Teddy Bears' picnic
- 2 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 3 In pictures: Post box knitting celebrates Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Tom Daley
- 4 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 5 Jobs boost for community as Dunmow's Caremark sees demand surge
- 6 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 7 Former Tring Athletic boss Kevin Christou named as new manager at Dunmow Town
- 8 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 9 Thieves swap elderly hospital patient’s ‘precious’ rings with tin bands
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
If breaking this record wasn't enough, the Round Table has decided to ride 103 miles from Norwich to Dunmow over the weekend of October 6 and 7 but is desperate to attract another 50 cyclists to take part.
The challenge is open to people aged 18 to 80. Anyone interested in taking part should call Shaun Pledger on 01371 878600 or e-mail email@example.com