Round Table aims for world record
MEMBERS of Great Dunmow Round Table are hoping to enter the Guinness Book of World Records and they hope to raise £30,000 in the process. Press officer Dave Frater said: In 2005, 82 riders in Sweden set a world record for the most people on a pedal-power
MEMBERS of Great Dunmow Round Table are hoping to enter the Guinness Book of World Records and they hope to raise £30,000 in the process.
Press officer Dave Frater said: "In 2005, 82 riders in Sweden set a world record for the most people on a pedal-powered vehicle. On September 22, 2007 at 2pm, we are going to smash this on a purpose-made, 32m long, 4.5 tonne, 100-seat, bike."
It is described as a once in life time opportunity to become a part of history, without the need for months of training or suffering a long feat of endurance.
The bike is being custom built by Alloy Fabweld located in Dunmow's Chelmsford Road Industrial Estate. The brains behind the construction work is Dunmow Round Table chairman Shaun Pledger.
The record-breaking attempt will be made at the Imperial War Museum in Duxford, which has given the Round Table team permission to use its 1400m runway.
Two weeks after this attempt, over the weekend of October 6 and 7, the front section of the bike, which is large enough to seat 40 people, is being taken to Norwich where members will cycle the 100 miles back to Great Dunmow, arriving in the town centre on the Sunday.
- 1 Bardfield cottage transformed into scrumptious-looking gingerbread house for Christmas
- 2 Olympic gold medallist Beth Shriever switches on Finchingfield's Christmas tree lights
- 3 First Sunday in December marked with Live Nativity in Great Dunmow
- 4 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences at Stansted Airport
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 Braintree investment leads to questions about Witham
- 8 Essex buildings are lit up in green for awareness campaign
- 9 'Massive' headliners set to be announced for Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up
- 10 Chelmsford: Safety improvements planned at roundabout after Thaxted man dies
Mr Frater said: "Not only will this be a massive feat of engineering, and a test of both individual and team endurance, but it will enable the Great Dunmow Round Table to peddle its way to even greater fund-raising success as we aim to raise a massive £30,000."
It is this section of the bike that will also be making an appearance in the parade at the Dunmow Carnival on September 15.
All proceeds will be split between The Little Haven's Hospice in Thundersley near Southend, St
Clare Hospice in Hastingwood, a primary school project in
Kenya, and youth projects in Dunmow.
Anyone wishing to put their names forward for either event will have to raise a minimum of £100 in sponsorship in order to secure their seat and should contact Shaun Pledger on 01371 878600 or Richard Johnson on 01371 873600 9am to 5.30pm. They can also e-mail email@example.com