Round Table aims for world record
MEMBERS of Great Dunmow Round Table are hoping to enter the Guinness Book of World Records and they hope to raise £30,000 in the process. Press officer Dave Frater said: In 2005, 82 riders in Sweden set a world record for the most people on a pedal-power
MEMBERS of Great Dunmow Round Table are hoping to enter the Guinness Book of World Records and they hope to raise £30,000 in the process.
Press officer Dave Frater said: "In 2005, 82 riders in Sweden set a world record for the most people on a pedal-powered vehicle. On September 22, 2007 at 2pm, we are going to smash this on a purpose-made, 32m long, 4.5 tonne, 100-seat, bike."
It is described as a once in life time opportunity to become a part of history, without the need for months of training or suffering a long feat of endurance.
The bike is being custom built by Alloy Fabweld located in Dunmow's Chelmsford Road Industrial Estate. The brains behind the construction work is Dunmow Round Table chairman Shaun Pledger.
You may also want to watch:
The record-breaking attempt will be made at the Imperial War Museum in Duxford, which has given the Round Table team permission to use its 1400m runway.
Two weeks after this attempt, over the weekend of October 6 and 7, the front section of the bike, which is large enough to seat 40 people, is being taken to Norwich where members will cycle the 100 miles back to Great Dunmow, arriving in the town centre on the Sunday.
- 1 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 2 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 3 New mayor and deputy mayor appointed for town council
- 4 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 5 High Easter claim Division Two title with win over Great Bradfords
- 6 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 7 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 8 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
- 9 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 10 Dunmow councillors to devise climate action plan
Mr Frater said: "Not only will this be a massive feat of engineering, and a test of both individual and team endurance, but it will enable the Great Dunmow Round Table to peddle its way to even greater fund-raising success as we aim to raise a massive £30,000."
It is this section of the bike that will also be making an appearance in the parade at the Dunmow Carnival on September 15.
All proceeds will be split between The Little Haven's Hospice in Thundersley near Southend, St
Clare Hospice in Hastingwood, a primary school project in
Kenya, and youth projects in Dunmow.
Anyone wishing to put their names forward for either event will have to raise a minimum of £100 in sponsorship in order to secure their seat and should contact Shaun Pledger on 01371 878600 or Richard Johnson on 01371 873600 9am to 5.30pm. They can also e-mail email@example.com