Rotary Club's Playpumps appeal nears �35k
DUNMOW Rotary Club has made huge in-roads into providing clean drinking water for families in Malawi, Africa. An appeal launched almost two years ago is approaching the �35,000 mark and shows no signs of stopping. Most recently the club secured another �7
DUNMOW Rotary Club has made huge in-roads into providing clean drinking water for families in Malawi, Africa.
An appeal launched almost two years ago is approaching the �35,000 mark and shows no signs of stopping.
Most recently the club secured another �7000 towards the next 'Playpump' - a children's roundabout that also doubles as a pump to get clean drinking water from the ground.
The money came from dedicated pupils at Bishop Stortford College who had undertaken various challenges, such as a sponsored 'spellathons', car washing and singing carols at Stansted Airport.
You may also want to watch:
Rotary spokesman, David Edwards, said: "At the presentation of the cheque three students gave talks outlining the ties which the College has with Malawi. They also gave descriptions of how a Roundabout Playpump works and the advantages that the invention has given by the provision of clean fresh water to schools and to the local population in the isolated locations."
Two children from the pre-preparatory school presented the cheque to Rotarian John Bridges. He thanked all of the students for their sterling efforts to raise such a worthy sum of money, for an incredibly important requirement to the needy of the Third World.
- 1 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 2 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 3 Tens of thousands of pounds worth of horse riding gear stolen in High Easter
- 4 Residents urged to have their say in housing consultation
- 5 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 6 'This is my life version 2.0' - Doctor marks Covid anniversary with fundraising efforts
- 7 Rise in dog thefts during lockdown, says charity
- 8 April 12: Five pub gardens and five shops you can visit in Uttlesford
- 9 Great Easton pub sells at auction
- 10 Woman taken to hospital after serious accident between Takeley and Dunmow
Mr Bridges said: "The Roundabout PlayPump Appeal is ongoing and it is hoped to raise enough money for several more of them in the next few months. It has been a truly remarkable success."
WHAT do you think? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org