Rotary Club's Playpumps appeal nears �35k
DUNMOW Rotary Club has made huge in-roads into providing clean drinking water for families in Malawi, Africa. An appeal launched almost two years ago is approaching the �35,000 mark and shows no signs of stopping. Most recently the club secured another �7
DUNMOW Rotary Club has made huge in-roads into providing clean drinking water for families in Malawi, Africa.
An appeal launched almost two years ago is approaching the �35,000 mark and shows no signs of stopping.
Most recently the club secured another �7000 towards the next 'Playpump' - a children's roundabout that also doubles as a pump to get clean drinking water from the ground.
The money came from dedicated pupils at Bishop Stortford College who had undertaken various challenges, such as a sponsored 'spellathons', car washing and singing carols at Stansted Airport.
Rotary spokesman, David Edwards, said: "At the presentation of the cheque three students gave talks outlining the ties which the College has with Malawi. They also gave descriptions of how a Roundabout Playpump works and the advantages that the invention has given by the provision of clean fresh water to schools and to the local population in the isolated locations."
Two children from the pre-preparatory school presented the cheque to Rotarian John Bridges. He thanked all of the students for their sterling efforts to raise such a worthy sum of money, for an incredibly important requirement to the needy of the Third World.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 3 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 4 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 5 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 6 High Easter hit magnificent seven after second-half goal blitz
- 7 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 8 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 9 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
- 10 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
Mr Bridges said: "The Roundabout PlayPump Appeal is ongoing and it is hoped to raise enough money for several more of them in the next few months. It has been a truly remarkable success."
WHAT do you think? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org