Rotary Club's Playpumps appeal nears �35k
DUNMOW Rotary Club has made huge in-roads into providing clean drinking water for families in Malawi, Africa. An appeal launched almost two years ago is approaching the �35,000 mark and shows no signs of stopping. Most recently the club secured another �7
DUNMOW Rotary Club has made huge in-roads into providing clean drinking water for families in Malawi, Africa.
An appeal launched almost two years ago is approaching the �35,000 mark and shows no signs of stopping.
Most recently the club secured another �7000 towards the next 'Playpump' - a children's roundabout that also doubles as a pump to get clean drinking water from the ground.
The money came from dedicated pupils at Bishop Stortford College who had undertaken various challenges, such as a sponsored 'spellathons', car washing and singing carols at Stansted Airport.
You may also want to watch:
Rotary spokesman, David Edwards, said: "At the presentation of the cheque three students gave talks outlining the ties which the College has with Malawi. They also gave descriptions of how a Roundabout Playpump works and the advantages that the invention has given by the provision of clean fresh water to schools and to the local population in the isolated locations."
Two children from the pre-preparatory school presented the cheque to Rotarian John Bridges. He thanked all of the students for their sterling efforts to raise such a worthy sum of money, for an incredibly important requirement to the needy of the Third World.
- 1 Pets Corner: It's time to get your dog back to training class
- 2 Revealed: almost 300 possible new development sites are submitted
- 3 Chelmsford beer festival cancelled for 2021 by Covid concerns
- 4 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 6 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 7 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 8 Dunmow mayor sets out summer programme set to unite community
- 9 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
- 10 Stebbing on the verge of becoming 'small town', residents fear
Mr Bridges said: "The Roundabout PlayPump Appeal is ongoing and it is hoped to raise enough money for several more of them in the next few months. It has been a truly remarkable success."
WHAT do you think? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org