Rotarians’ appeal for wheelchairs
THIS year Dunmow Rotary Club s Christmas Appeal is for money to buy wheelchairs for disabled people in under-developed countries. Ian Terry, Rotary International Committee chairman, said: Working with other rotary clubs throughout the UK and Rotary Inter
THIS year Dunmow Rotary Club's Christmas Appeal is for money to buy wheelchairs for disabled people in under-developed countries.
Ian Terry, Rotary International Committee chairman, said: "Working with other rotary clubs throughout the UK and Rotary International, we have obtained a grant that means for less than £15, you can buy a wheelchair for someone in Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda."
Mr Terry explained that the specially designed wheelchairs can help children attend school, elderly people rejoin society, instead of being unable to get out of bed, and working age adults to find a job and above all, enable the physically disabled to live with dignity.
"Just think for a moment of those children and adults in developing countries who are virtually unable to move because of physical handicaps," he added.
You may also want to watch:
"If all of the Rotary Clubs can get 10 container loads, the grant available would reduce the price of each wheelchair to a stunningly low price of £14.29."
Anyone wanting to donate to the appeal should send donations to: The Treasurer at Dunmow Rotary Club, Town View, Rosemary Lane,
- 1 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 2 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 3 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 4 High Easter claim Division Two title with win over Great Bradfords
- 5 New mayor and deputy mayor appointed for town council
- 6 Concerns that Covid lockdowns has caused fitness levels to drop
- 7 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 8 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 9 Dunmow Cricket Club announces new sponsor
- 10 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
Dunmow CM6 1DW.