Romanes pupils talk politics
POLITICAL debate was the hot topic at Helena Romanes School on Tuesday as Dunmow s Mayor took time out of his busy schedule to drop in for talk. Gwynn Davies, who became Dunmow s first Welsh mayor just over a month ago, visited the school to observe how t
POLITICAL debate was the hot topic at Helena Romanes School on Tuesday as Dunmow's Mayor took time out of his busy schedule to drop in for talk.
Gwynn Davies, who became Dunmow's first Welsh mayor just over a month ago, visited the school to observe how the student parliament works and to give some of his own insight from his experiences in local government as a member of Dunmow Town Council.
A school spokesman said: "During the session the pupils were able to express their opinions and ideas and engage each other in discussions with the intention of developing a strategy for delivering improvements in certain areas of the school. It was great to have Mayor Davies along to put into context what local councillors do and what they are responsible for."
The Student Parliament consists of two members of every tutor group from Years Seven to 11.
You may also want to watch:
Any ideas or problems they identify are treated seriously by senior school staff and are taken forward. The new venture has enabled the wider student body to get their voice heard. Regular parliament meetings are held at least once every term.
WHAT DO YOU THINK? E-mail us at email@example.com
- 1 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 2 In pictures: Fun at the 2021 Great Dunmow Teddy Bears' picnic
- 3 In pictures: Post box knitting celebrates Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Tom Daley
- 4 Jobs boost for community as Dunmow's Caremark sees demand surge
- 5 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 6 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 7 Former Tring Athletic boss Kevin Christou named as new manager at Dunmow Town
- 8 Thieves swap elderly hospital patient’s ‘precious’ rings with tin bands
- 9 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex