Riverbank project to provide “outdoor classroom” for 12 months
A RIVERBANK which has been designated for improvements will enable Dunmow school pupils to have an “outdoor classroom” for the next 12 months.
Children from Helena Romanes paid a visit to the River Chelmer at the point it meanders past St Mary’s Church ahead of a scheme to make the bank a better place for people.
In total 20 Year 8s joined in geography work including taking ‘before’ photographs, and carrying out questionnaires. They will also track the project as it evolves.
Head of geography Liz Withers said: “We hope that in the next 12 months we will be able to incorporate the river bank area in the churchyard into our lesson planning, and take students down to the area to use it as an outdoor classroom.
“Geography is a very hands-on subject, but all too often we have to stay inside to teach our students.
You may also want to watch:
“With this exciting resource on our doorstep, we can allow students to see the processes and landforms that we learn about in the classroom for themselves, as well as joining with the church to enhance our community links.”
During last Thursday’s visit the pupils’ surveyed public opinion on the project which will see land cleared, a walkway and some seating put in, and received many positive comments.
- 1 A12 upgrade: 'The people who live here are not being considered'
- 2 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 3 Man dies after Roxwell collision, police confirm
- 4 Hatfield Heath air disaster memorial 'a symbol of UK-US unity'
- 5 Helena Romanes homes plan 'harmful urbanisation' says council
- 6 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 7 Moth night celebrates Dunmow's autumn biodiversity
- 8 Saffron Walden actress Tamara Lee Smart to star as Marilyn Monroe for one night in rehearsed play reading
- 9 Cash boost for plan to plant 350,000 trees in Essex
- 10 Thaxted Gardening and Craft Show winners revealed
The students will be a displaying their work at the towns’ library in White Street in the New Year.