Residents reminded to stay 'taxi safe' during New Year celebrations
PUBLISHED: 10:09 31 December 2011
BRAINTREE District Council is reminding residents to stay 'taxi safe' when they celebrate this New Year.
The district council is warning party-goers to only use vehicles displaying council licence plates and to ensure drivers are wearing ID badges.
Councillor Wendy Schmitt, cabinet member for the environment, said: “Don’t take any chances with your safety this New Year.”
All private hire vehicles and Hackney Carriages in the district display licence plates on the front, back and side of their vehicles.
The district council has offered 10 tips to keep you safe:
1. Have a mobile phone to hand
2. Make a note of the number plate and driver’s badge number
3. Have the telephone number of a reliable firm handy
4. Make a note of the taxi company name
5. Check that the taxi is the one you ordered
6. Sit behind the driver in the back seat
7. If you feel uneasy, ask to be let out in a well-lit area where there are plenty of people
8. Check the drivers badge
9. Check that the vehicle plates are displayed and that they have not expired.
10. If you have any doubts do not get into the vehicle