Request for volunteers to expand Uttlesford’s credit union
- Credit: Archant
Volunteers are needed to expand a “community bank” to Great Dunmow.
Uttlesford Save, a credit union, offers residents in the district the chance to save money as well as take out loans. It is owned and controlled by its members and so far 100 residents have signed up.
Since October last year, an information point has been held at Saffron Walden library, manned by volunteers who offer advice to people looking to join.
Director Adrian Stenton is hoping to roll out the service to Great Dunmow but is on the look out for volunteers to be based at the town’s library for two hours a week.
Mr Stenton told the Broadcast: “We want to open up points throughout Uttlesford and Dunmow is our next target. We are hoping to set up in the spring.”
He added: “We are looking for volunteers for the Dunmow base. The volunteers are not there to take or hand out money, or offer financial advice. They are there to tell people more about the credit union and to take them through membership if they wish to join.”
Once up and running in Dunmow, the financial co-operative is hoping to attract more members. According to Mr Stenton, it is an attractive option as it is a “more ethical way of saving”. Members are also able to get small loans at short notice.
- 1 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 2 Musical theatre stars to bring the West End to Saffron Walden in celebration of Rodgers & Hammerstein
- 3 110 homes near Stansted Airport: design and details approved
- 4 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 5 Dunmow pilots airlift medical aid to help Ukraine
- 6 Stebbing Tractor Run: This is the new route for 2022
- 7 Recap: A120 reopens near Stansted Airport after 'police incident'
- 8 10,000 signatures reached against Essex mega-prison proposal
- 9 Life-saving kit that residents hope they will never use
- 10 Things to do in Essex this June
Those interested in becoming a volunteer can call Pat Lodge, at Uttlesford Volunteer Centre, on 01799 510525/510524.
For more information, visit uttlesfordsave.coop