Reporter leads airport ramble
WILL Self, the well-known author, journalist and broadcaster and self-confessed grumpy old man led the SSE Ramble at Hatfield Forest on Saturday. Arriving at the set off point by the lake and café on his bicycle, he talked exclusively to the Reporter an
WILL Self, the well-known author, journalist and broadcaster and self-confessed 'grumpy old man' led the SSE Ramble at Hatfield Forest on Saturday.
Arriving at the set off point by the lake and café on his bicycle, he talked exclusively to the Reporter and Broadcast about why he was giving up his Saturday morning to take part in the rally.
"I'm not really a rally person but this campaign isn't about NIMBYism. What we have is the sharp end of globalisation where, in the name of making a marginal profit for one company, there is the possible destruction of a historical landscape."
Mr Self agreed to take part in the ramble when he visited Hatfield Forest and other ancient woodland threatened by BAA's plans for expanding Stansted last winter as part of his exploration of the 'psychogeography' of airports and the land and people around them.
You may also want to watch:
"I don't think many people realise how easy it is to get to this forest," said Mr Self who has walked across the whole of Essex. "I left my house in Stockwell 80 minutes ago, got on a train and then cycled and now I'm in the middle of the countryside and I like that.
"If you need a London hub airport, this is not the place to do it.
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 3 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 4 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 5 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 6 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 7 Things to do in May: Open Day for Gardens of Easton Lodge
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 10 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert