Red Lion's heavy rollers raise big cash sum for Essex village school
PUPILS at a village primary school are set to benefit thanks to some high-rolling antics from pub punters. Walking into the Red Lion Inn on Church Hill, Finchingfield, it would have been easy to think you had somehow taken a flight to Las Vegas as the own
PUPILS at a village primary school are set to benefit thanks to some high-rolling antics from pub punters.
Walking into the Red Lion Inn on Church Hill, Finchingfield, it would have been easy to think you had somehow taken a flight to Las Vegas as the owners decked out the watering hole with all the razzmatazz of a fun casino night in aid of the village school's PTA.
In total �1090 was raised before the cash was handed over to school headteacher Paula Hagan on Monday.
Describing it as a "huge boost", she said: "We are extremely grateful for all the support that the The Red Lion Inn and its customers have given us during the last two years, particularly by holding three events on our behalf in 2009. We are a small school and wouldn't be able to do this without such great help."
Adding donations totalling �2000 from two events earlier in the year, the grand total now stands at �3000 raised from pub events.
Since 2007, the pub regulars and staff have also helped to raise in excess of �30,000 to support other charities and local organisations in the area. This money has been raised by events held in the pub and also sponsorship of other local events including the annual Finchingfield Ball.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 3 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 4 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 5 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 6 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 7 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 110 homes near Stansted Airport: design and details approved
- 10 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
Charities and organisations that have benefited include The Creamer Fund at the Freshwell Medical Centre, The Finchingfield Guildhall Restoration Fund, Finchingfield Cricket Club, Farleigh Hospice, Essex Air Ambulance and the RSPCA Danaher animal shelter in Wethersfield.
The pub money machine is now in overdrive and organisers are planning a Christmas Eve Party and a huge Mardi Gras themed New Years Eve party - both with live music.
WHAT do you think? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
GOT A STORY? If the answer is yes, send us the details via your mobile phone and you may see your contribution online or in the newspaper.
You can send us video, audio, pictures and text up to 1MB in size via your mobile. Simply send your text message to 078 4350 0911
Your message needs to begin with the words MEDIA DUNMOW. Please submit your details as well as what the message is about. Remember that network MMS/SMS charges will apply.