Pro-wrestlers in village hall
WRESTLING came to Takeley village on Saturday and the rip-roaring action didn t stop as huge men did battle in the ring. Silver Jubilee Hall, Brewers End, in Takeley welcomed 100 guests to watch the event which started at 7.30pm on Saturday night. But why
WRESTLING came to Takeley village on Saturday and the rip-roaring action didn't stop as huge men did battle in the ring.
Silver Jubilee Hall, Brewers End, in Takeley welcomed 100 guests to watch the event which started at 7.30pm on Saturday night.
But why would professional wrestling come to little Takeley? Promoter and organiser Sam Knee said: "Well it all started here originally, when I started training here, a few mates got together and before we knew it Herts and Essex Wrestling (HEW) was born."
The event on Saturday night was a version of what you might see on television beamed over from America with nicknames and signature moves to boot.
You may also want to watch:
Wrestlers included current world champion Erik Isaksen from Norway who also brought a legion of fans with him and wrestlers with such nicknames as 'Zebra Kid', 'Killer Instinct' and 'Sweet Saraya'.
Mr Knee said: "We like to create story lines to go with the fights and this gets people coming back time and time again, we get a very mixed crowd of young and old, it seems that recently adults seem to be getting interested even more."
- 1 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 2 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 3 New mayor and deputy mayor appointed for town council
- 4 High Easter claim Division Two title with win over Great Bradfords
- 5 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 6 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 7 Dunmow councillors to devise climate action plan
- 8 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 9 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 10 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
This is the first of ten events for the HEW and they will be coming back to Takeley on March 29, again at Silver Jubilee Hall.
If you would like to go to the next event and observe the talents of the wrestlers up close then March 29 is the time to do it says Mr Knee.
"We have international wrestlers at the next event, some are so good they get snapped up by the big American productions, the next event promises to be great with 'street fights' and title challenges galore," he said.
Call Sam Knee at the HEW box office 07790200490.