Popular Essex pub open night success
'WE just want to be a part of the community', was the declaration of two new pub owners who have just moved in to a popular Hatfield Broad Oak watering hole. Despite difficult times surrounding Britain s pub trade, Justin and Liz Flodman have taken on th
WE just want to be a part of the community," was the declaration of two new pub owners who have just moved in to a popular Hatfield Broad Oak watering hole.
Despite difficult times surrounding Britain's pub trade, Justin and Liz Flodman have taken on the Dukes Head pub because "it was the ideal opportunity."
Justin said: "We believe this village is recession proof and we fell in love with this pub instantly. We really want to be part of the community - we understand families because we have two children ourselves."
The couple have given the pub a lick of paint and have created a completely new menu with some tasty sounding - and looking - food on.
You may also want to watch:
On Tuesday night they hosted an open evening and invited people from the village, and further afield, to come along for free drink and nibbles and to have a look around the place.
Local couple, Mike and Maureen Geddes, from Cannons Lane, went along for a nosey around.
- 1 Picture gallery: Spot yourself at Finchingfield 2021 three-legged race
- 2 Blue-green algae proves fatal for Doctor's Pond fish
- 3 Man admits to causing death by dangerous driving after B184 collision
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
- 6 Astronomy: What to look for in the sky this September
- 7 Essex A&E waiting times: fears raised about winter as 'NHS really struggling'
- 8 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 9 Felsted collision: Motorcyclist seriously injured
- 10 Be there for seasonal Apple and Bees Day at the Gardens of Easton Lodge
Maureen said: "We used to come here a lot, but the pub has had so many owners in the last five years it has been difficult to get to know the landlords. We really hope this couple stays and makes a real go of it.
"We really like it and I am sure we will become regulars."
The Dukes Head is located on the villages High Street and the restaurant section has seen a complete overhaul in a bid to attract customers from around the area.
Justin added: "We want to keep our local regulars and maybe gain a few more. But we also want people to come from further away for a fantastic meal and a drink afterwards."
WHAT do you think? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at 54 High Street, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB10 1EE.