Popular Essex pub open night success
'WE just want to be a part of the community', was the declaration of two new pub owners who have just moved in to a popular Hatfield Broad Oak watering hole. Despite difficult times surrounding Britain s pub trade, Justin and Liz Flodman have taken on th
WE just want to be a part of the community," was the declaration of two new pub owners who have just moved in to a popular Hatfield Broad Oak watering hole.
Despite difficult times surrounding Britain's pub trade, Justin and Liz Flodman have taken on the Dukes Head pub because "it was the ideal opportunity."
Justin said: "We believe this village is recession proof and we fell in love with this pub instantly. We really want to be part of the community - we understand families because we have two children ourselves."
The couple have given the pub a lick of paint and have created a completely new menu with some tasty sounding - and looking - food on.
On Tuesday night they hosted an open evening and invited people from the village, and further afield, to come along for free drink and nibbles and to have a look around the place.
Local couple, Mike and Maureen Geddes, from Cannons Lane, went along for a nosey around.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 4 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 5 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 6 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 7 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 8 Dunmow pilots airlift medical aid to help Ukraine
- 9 Great Dunmow's Soapbox Race's thrills and spills in pictures
- 10 Things to do in Essex this June
Maureen said: "We used to come here a lot, but the pub has had so many owners in the last five years it has been difficult to get to know the landlords. We really hope this couple stays and makes a real go of it.
"We really like it and I am sure we will become regulars."
The Dukes Head is located on the villages High Street and the restaurant section has seen a complete overhaul in a bid to attract customers from around the area.
Justin added: "We want to keep our local regulars and maybe gain a few more. But we also want people to come from further away for a fantastic meal and a drink afterwards."
WHAT do you think? E-mail us at email@example.com or write to us at 54 High Street, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB10 1EE.