Police chase comes to dramatic finale outside Rayne pub
- Credit: Archant
Two men were arrested after a police chase ended in Rayne.
Officers wanting to stop a black Audi A3 after tracking the vehicle, believed to have been linked to a burglary and catalytic converter thefts, on ANPR.
The car was intercepted on the A120 by an unmarked police car at around 8pm on Wednesday (August 19). The Audi, which was being tracked by a police helicopter, failed to stop and led officers on a high speed chase.
The chase came to a halt outside the Swan pub, in The Street, Rayne, and the occupants ran off across nearby fields. They were followed by officers, who arrested them.
Detective sergeant Mark Cadd, of Braintree CID, said: “The Audi had been stolen in a burglary which occurred in Bailey Bridge Road in Braintree on July 14 and was using false plates.
You may also want to watch:
“A similar car had been linked to thefts of catalytic converters on July 28 from vehicles parked at industrial units in Witham. One was taken from a Mercedes van in Perry Road and another was taken from a Mercedes lorry at another industrial unit in Stepfield.
“There had also been attempted thefts from motor vehicles parked at a unit in Eastways, Witham, on the same evening. Using intelligence from the county’s ANPR cameras we were able to plan this operation, execute the pursuit safely and now have two people in custody.”
- 1 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 2 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 3 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 4 High Easter claim Division Two title with win over Great Bradfords
- 5 New mayor and deputy mayor appointed for town council
- 6 Concerns that Covid lockdowns has caused fitness levels to drop
- 7 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 8 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 9 Dunmow Cricket Club announces new sponsor
- 10 Dunmow sign writer's traditional skills are a hit
Two men, aged 21 and 18, from Cressing were arrested on suspicion of burglary, failing to stop, theft of a motor vehicle and theft from a vehicle.