Plenty of Glee for Dunmow performers after they came third in a prestigious competition
- Credit: Archant
Performers from a theatrical school in Great Dunmow impressed a star-studded judging panel to come third in a prestigious competition.
Students, aged between 11 to 22, from Scene II, at Haslers’ Lane, took the stage at The Jack Petchey Foundation Glee Club Challenge last Saturday (December 6) and danced to Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious from Mary Poppins and Priscilla Queen of the Desert.
Their lively performances caught the attention of the judges, which included EastEnders and West End stars Tamzin Outhwaite and John Partridge, and they were awarded third prize along with £750.
Principal at Scene II Mikki Rom said “We are ecstatic. It was another great competition and to perform on a huge stage was a great experience for our youngsters. They all enjoyed boot-camp and met so many great people.
“All our students want to become professionals so the Glee Club Challenge is a wonderful opportunity for them.”
You may also want to watch:
The finals were held at Queen Elizabeth Hall Southbank Centre and first prize went to Infinitones, consisting of eight Year 10 girls from St Michaels Grammar School, in Barnet.
Head judge Tamzin Outhwaite said “This event always makes me realise why I came into this business. I wept. I laughed. They were all so different and so talented. I believed I was watching professionals.”
- 1 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 2 Dunmow tributes to Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
- 3 Online Young Musician competition launched by Dunmow Rotarians
- 4 Lockdown easing: 'Shop abuse will not be tolerated'
- 5 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 6 Care at home: what is it, and how can it help?
- 7 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 8 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 9 Saffron Walden Musical Theatre Company announces musicals
- 10 Residents urged to have their say in housing consultation