Picture gallery: Great Dunmow Round Table gears up for 50th anniversary celebrations
- Credit: Archant
A PROMINENT fundraising and social group will celebrate its 50th anniversary tomorrow (Friday May 17).
Great Dunmow & District Round Table, which was founded in 1963 – and has gone to raise £400,000 for local charities – will meet at Foakes Hall for a special gala dinner to mark the milestone. More than 100 members, past and present, will meet to talk about old times and to celebrate achievements.
Daniel Albon, chairman of the group, said: “I have been a member for six years and would say I am very fortunate to become chairman in the year Dunmow celebrates its 50th anniversary.
“It’s a huge achievement to reach 50 years and it just shows the commitment and camaraderie that has existed between our members over the years.
“Round Table has a great mix of like-minded individuals who enjoy getting together to raise money for local good causes whilst drinking the occasional beer along the way. The events we organise during the year are enjoyed by many in the town.”
You may also want to watch:
The Round Table previously organised the Dunmow Carnival and is still involved in running the bar and barbeque at the popular annual event.
They also organise the annual fireworks display at the Rec every November, and take to the streets with Santa’s sleigh throughout December.
- 1 Broomfield staff facing a 'battlefield scenario' in Covid fight
- 2 Essex County Council approves council tax increase
- 3 Beavers help with Finchingfield's 'worst flood in 20 years'
- 4 Hot lunches to support more vulnerable in community
- 5 Try this at home: Chef Webb from MasterChef's latest recipe
- 6 Swan Inn customers support the foodbank
- 7 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 8 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 9 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 10 Green infrastructure plan and carbon reduction activities for Essex
Other events held over the years include everything from ladies nights to racing the Nürburgring – and even taking part in a Guinness World Record on the world’s biggest bike.
The Round Table is a national charitable organisation – the Dunmow group is one of 700 in the UK – for men, aged 18 to 45, who want to put something back into their community.
The Dunmow group meets twice a month to plan events and discuss how the funds should be distributed. Meetings have become less formal and members now hold their meetings at social events such as karting, wine tasting, golf, badminton or over a few drinks in the pub.
For more information, or to join the group, contact Toby West on 07801 823267 or visit greatdunmowroundtable.co.uk