Picture gallery: Great Dunmow mayor’s Strawberry Tea Dance is a sweet success
- Credit: Archant
More than 100 people attended the afternoon event, enjoying cream teas while being entertained with music from members of the Brian Williamson band, a choir of 60 pupils from Dunmow Primary School, and a steel band from Dunmow St Mary’s Primary School.
It is thought to be the first time that a mid-week afternoon event has been organised to raise money for the Mayor’s Charity Community Fund (MCCF).
Explaining the thinking behind the event, mayoress June Milne, who helped organise the event, said: “Throughout the year, we [Cllr Milne and Mrs Milne] want to make sure we hold events for people of all ages throughout the town.
“The elder community is not too keen on attending things that are held at night, so we thought an afternoon tea would be ideal.
“It was a wonderful afternoon. We’ve already received many phone calls and letters saying thank you for a wonderful time.”
You may also want to watch:
Raffle prizes included donations from traders including Stacey’s Flowers, CJ Mac Hair Design, The Fruit Stall in the Market, and David Culverhouse Chiropodist.
At the time of going to press, it was not known how much the event raised.
- 1 Pets Corner: It's time to get your dog back to training class
- 2 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 3 Chelmsford beer festival cancelled for 2021 by Covid concerns
- 4 Braintree council installs further electric vehicle charging points
- 5 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 6 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 7 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 8 Stebbing on the verge of becoming 'small town', residents fear
- 9 Coronavirus rates in Essex are doubling every 10 days
- 10 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
The next official MCCF event will be a Black Tie event at Foakes Hall on October 26. Information on tickets will be available soon.