Pensioner plunges 110ft for charity
NOT MANY people fancy jumping out of an aeroplane and even fewer would consider such an activity once they have retired! For Dunmow resident Donald Forbes, 76, the desire to do something for charity saw him take a 10,000ft tandem freefall on Sunday. Mr F
NOT MANY people fancy jumping out of an aeroplane and even fewer would consider such an activity once they have retired!
For Dunmow resident Donald Forbes, 76, the desire to do something for charity saw him take a 10,000ft tandem freefall on Sunday.
Mr Forbes, along with 13 other supporters of the Helen Rollason Heal Cancer Charity, have been raising sponsorship for the past few months and according to charity the 'Vicky B jumpers' as the gang are known have raised nearly £4000 for a new cancer care centre in Chelmsford.
"Donald came along wearing his kilt but we said he ought to wear the jumpsuit to save people's blushes!
"Donald absolutely loved it but said he doesn't think he will be doing it again," said Nick Garner, community fund-raiser for the Helen Rollason Heal Cancer Charity."
Donald has been a long time supporter of the charity and did not show a sign of nerves before the jump. In fact he was the least nervous of all the jumpers according to Mr Garner. "He is a real character and didn't seem scared at all," he said.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 3 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 4 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 5 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 High Roding continue excellent start, as Aythorpe, Dunmow suffer defeats
- 10 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
You can still sponsor Mr Forbes by calling the Helen Rollason Heal Cancer
Charity on 01245 514535.